One of the best parts of the holidays are the seasonal scents—mulling spices, evergreens, gingerbread, peppermint... Why not add the extra dimension of fragrance to gift giving with this aromatic botanical gift topper? A pinecone combined with cinnamon sticks and a cedar sprig makes this easy-to-assemble decoration not only look beautiful, but also smell like Christmas.
For each gift topper, you will need the following:
- 1 pinecone
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 sprig cedar or other evergreen such as fir or boxwood
- Gloss medium, available at art supply stores (or Mod Podge)
- Hot glue
Putting it all together
1. Mix glitter with gloss medium, then paint it over the pine cone’s seed scales. Use less glitter for a subtle sparkle; more for extra glitz. Set aside to dry.
2. Using hot glue, glue the length of two cinnamon sticks together, side by side. (Select sticks that are relatively straight; twisted or crooked sticks are harder to align.) Glue the sprig of cedar to the backs of the cinnamon sticks. Before doing this, play with the placement of the greenery to get the look you like. Let glue set.
3. Tie a knot in the ribbon then cut the tails at a 45-degree angle so each is approximately 2 inches long.
4. Glue the ribbon to the front of the cinnamon-cedar piece with hot glue. Then glue the base of the pinecone to the cinnamon just above the knot, covering as much of the knot as possible.
5. Wrap your present with complementary paper and, if you like, ribbon. Attach the topper to the gift with hot glue.