Rosemary's keep-it-fresh tips
- Mix and match flowers and use small pieces of greenery to fill in any gaps.
- Make them no more than two days in advance of the event where they'll be displayed.
- Once they're made, place each one in a clear plastic bag, leaving the ribbon out so it can be hung from a hanger (so the flowers won't get flattened).
- Before sealing the bag closed, mist the flowers with water to keep them damp.
- Store the balls in a naturally cool, damp area, keeping them away from heat and light.
- Do not crank up the air conditioning because air conditioners tend to de-humidify as they cool. As the moisture is taken away, the flowers could collapse.
Lauren Flanagan is a freelance writer and prop stylist in Toronto, specializing in antiques, home décor and travel. Her work has appeared in several Canadian publications including Style at Home, where she was the assistant design editor.