Food & Entertaining - Entertaining
Plan an outdoor bridal shower
Entertaining ideas and garden-prep tips to help you host the perfect event for the bride-to-be
10 shower-planning tips
Ready to make your bridal shower a smashing success? This professional advice will help ensure that everything goes off without a hitch. Here are O’Grady’s top 10 tips:
1. Always have a weather plan! What will you do if it rains? Consider a tent if you have the space and budget.
2. Don’t over-decorate. Allow the beauty of your perfect garden to be seen and admired.
3. Have some ambient music playing, especially when guests are first arriving. Silence at a social gathering can be very awkward!
4. Add a touch of glam! Use gleaming chrome metal lanterns that reflect the sun during the day and offer illumination at night.
5. Don’t leave your guests parched. Make sure to have beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and snacks available for self-serve so that guests can help themselves throughout the event.
6. Avoid foods or iced drinks that will succumb to the blazing sun. You don’t want your exquisite buttercream cake melting in the sun!
7. Purchase some inexpensive blankets in case the evening gets chilly.
8. Don’t over-crowd or over-stimulate guests. Provide easy access to all areas of your garden space, allowing for guests’ movement and comfort. Don’t jam the event so full of activities and games that guests don’t have the opportunity to casually visit. This includes you, as the host, as well.
9. Ensure the comfort of your guests by providing enough seating in both sunny and shaded areas. Provide sunscreen and bug spray for those who may wish to use it.
10. Don’t use scented candles. Allow nature to fill the air with fragrance.