Sweet and succulent, crisp and crunchy, a fresh spring salad should satisfy our craving for plump, juicy veggies straight from the garden. Thankfully, lettuce and snow peas will soon be ripe for the picking, and we’ve got the perfect recipe for enjoying them. Bon appetit!
Baby lettuce & snow pea palad
- 4 cobs of corn, husks removed
- 1 cup snow peas, washed and tips removed
- 1½ lbs cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups baby lettuce leaves
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lime rind
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
Freshly ground black pepper to taste Cut the cobs of corn in half and place in a large pot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the corn and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes past the boiling point, or until the kernels are tender when pierced with a fork; do not overcook. Remove the corn from the water with tongs and dunk in a cold water bath to cool. Stand the ears of corn on end and cut straight down using a sharp knife to remove the kernels.
Combine the corn kernels, snow peas, tomatoes and black beans in a large bowl, stirring gently to mix. Place the lettuce leaves on a large platter and spoon the vegetable mixture over top.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice through salt to make the vinaigrette; pour over the salad and toss gently to coat. Top with the sliced avocado and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.