“These scones freeze well and toast up beautifully,” says Litti Birker of The Bohemian Café & Catering Co.
Makes about 20
- 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) + 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
- 41⁄2 cups (1 L + 125 mL) bread (high gluten) or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) margarine or butter
- 2 eggs
- 21⁄3 cups (575 mL) milk
- 1⁄2 tbsp. (7 mL) fresh or dried lavender buds
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Mix first three ingredients in a bowl; cut in margarine or butter.
Whisk eggs in a separate bowl; add milk.
Stir lavender buds into dry mix.
Gently fold milk mixture into dry mix; dough should be just moistened and slightly crumbly. Do not over mix.
Using a 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) measure, scoop out dough and pat into desired shape, 11⁄2 inches (3 cm) thick. Arrange on parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.