This sweet soup has just the right amount of zing thanks to the addition of a little fresh ginger. Topped with a few pistachios, it makes a great starter when you're entertaining.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- Pinch each freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon
- 500 g (about 1 pound) carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups sodium-reduced chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- ½ cup creme fraiche, or Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup pistachios, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in carrots and cook until combined, about 1 minute. Stir in broth with ½ cup water; bring to a boil. Simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth, adding up to ½ cup of water if the soup is too thick.
Ladle the soup into a bowl and top with creme fraiche, pistachios and chives.
Jennifer Bartoli is a food specialist for Canadian Living and the author of www.chocolateshavings.ca