Corn and cucumber crunch
Makes 4 cups
- 2 cups fresh-cut corn niblets (from 4 cobs)
- 1 cup finely diced red pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 cups diced English cucumber (about 1 small cucumber)
- 2 finely diced jalapeño peppers
- 2 cups white vinegar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a large stainless steel pot over high heat; reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
Transfer to a dish and serve immediately on salmon or tuna burgers with Boston lettuce and a little mayonnaise on a soft brioche bun. Relish will keep for two weeks in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed jar.