When fresh fruits and veggies are out of season, especially in the winter, frozen produce is a great substitute. Just be sure that there is nothing added to the package contents, like salt or sugar.
Besides their antioxidant powers, just a ½ cup of frozen wild blueberries satisfies one fruit serving and is a good source of dietary fibre, says the Wild Wild Blueberry Association of North America. Here, the association shares a healthy salad recipe.
Fennel salad with wild blueberries
- 3 bulbs of fennel, julienned
- 1 ½ (120g) cups arugula
- 1 cup (150g) wild blueberries
- 3 oranges, segmented, juice reserved
- ½ cup (75g) walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- Reserved orange juice from fennel salad recipe
- 2-3 tbsp (15-30ml) honey
- ¼ cup (60ml) tbsp fruit or red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl, except for olive oil.
2. Gradually whisk olive oil in bowl until combined. Set aside until assembly.
1. When ready to serve, place all ingredients in the same bowl as Orange Dressing.
2. Gently toss to combine and serve.
Preparation time: approx. 30 minutes.
Approximate nutritional analysis per portion:
- Calories: 399
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fat: 267g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 42
- Sodium: 131.6g
- Fibre: 9.5g