Corn and cucumber relish
Because this colourful corn relish is not processed in the traditional way but simply stored in the refrigerator, it's a little easier to put together than many others. You can pack it into smaller preserving jars if you like.
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 small cucumber (unpeeled) seeded, chopped to medium dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded, chopped to medium dice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 6 ears corn, or about 4 cups (1 L) of kernels
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) fresh coriander, chopped
Combine hot sauce, mustard seeds, salt, sugar and vinegar in a heavy, stainless-steel or other non-reactive pot or saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, uncovered, and continue to boil for about 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife, remove kernels from ears. Combine kernels with remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine well. Transfer between four sterilized pint jars (or six smaller jars). Pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables. Cover jars tightly with sterilized lids and refrigerate. Use within one month. Makes about 2 pints (1 litre).