Serves 4 to 6
- 2 cups day-old rustic bread, cut into 1" cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch sugar
- 1 tsp Maldon sea salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 small English cucumber
- 1 pint coloured cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 1 long red chili, chopped
- ¼ cup basil leaves, torn
- 1 tbsp oregano or marjoram leaves
Toast the bread cubes on a baking sheet at 375ºF for about 7 minutes, until light golden. In a small bowl, mix together garlic, vinegar, mustard, sugar and salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to emulsify.
Cut the heirloom tomatoes and cucumber into chunky 1" pieces and slice the cherry tomatoes in half. Place in a large bowl along with the red onion.
Peel and pit the avocado and slice into 1" pieces. Add to the bowl along with the chili, toasted croutons and herbs.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix carefully with a large spoon to distribute. Leave for 30 minutes before serving to allow the juices of the tomatoes to combine with the dressing.