Honeyed peach freezer salsa
Makes 6 cups
- 3 cups diced peaches
- 3 cups diced cantaloupe
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
- 3 tbsp liquid honey or agave nectar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp chopped candied ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, optional
- 2 tbsp freezer jam pectin
Combine the peaches, cantaloupe, red onion, garlic, chipotle peppers, honey, lime juice, candied ginger and cinnamon in a bowl. Add the pectin and stir for 3 minutes. Ladle the jam into freezer containers (bags or jars), leaving a ½" headspace. Apply the lids tightly. Let the salsa stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes. It will not thicken as much as a jam. Freeze for up to 9 months. Refrigerate after opening for up to 2 weeks.
Excerpted from Preserving by Pat Crocker (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd., ©2011) All rights reserved.