- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups fresh pumpkin purée
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or chocolate chunks
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cream the softened cream cheese, brown sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.
2. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until blended; add the pumpkin purée, beating until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the 3½ cups flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture; add the extra ½ cup flour if needed (the dough should be moist and thick enough to stand a spoon in).
4. Stir in the walnuts or chocolate. Spoon the batter into a greased and floured 9" x 5" loaf pan. Bake on the centre rack of the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Makes one loaf