Soft chicken tacos with pea & alfalfa sprouts
These quick and easy tacos include a mixture of colourful and flavourful ingredients. For a tasty variation, try canned tuna or cooked turkey instead of chicken.
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) chili-flavoured oil
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 to 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 10-inch (25-cm) flour tortillas
- 1 romaine lettuce heart, shredded
- ½ cup (125 mL) pea sprouts
- ½ cup (125 mL) alfalfa sprouts
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) tomato salsa
- Light sour cream and extra salsa (optional)
In a deep skillet over high heat, bring stock to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken, making sure it’s completely submerged. Simmer for about 20 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through.
Remove chicken from stock and let cool (reserve broth to make soup, or discard). Shred meat into good-sized chunks (or slice, if you prefer).
Place in a medium-sized bowl. Add oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, tomatoes and green onions; toss.
Arrange 1 tortilla on a clean work surface and fill one half with chicken mixture. Add lettuce, sprouts, cheese and salsa; fold tortilla over, or roll up burrito-style; repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.
Makes 4 servings