Winter sprout & noodle salad with Thai vinaigrette
This is a terrific, easy, main-course salad that’s dressed in a robust, peanut-soy-ginger vinaigrette. Start by making the dressing to allow flavours to fully develop.
Ingredients for the vinaigrette
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) chili-flavoured oil
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) sriracha chili sauce or other hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1½ cups (375 mL) chicken broth
Add peanut butter to a large mixing bowl. Using a whisk, blend in all remaining ingredients except broth.
Gradually add in stock and continue whisking until mixture is well blended. Set aside.
Ingredients for the salad
- 1 lb. (450 g) mung bean sprouts
- ½ lb. (225 g) adzuki bean sprouts
- 1 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled, grated
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 4 cups (1 L) cooked and cooled skinny noodles (rice stick, vermicelli, soba or spaghettini)
In a large bowl, combine vegetables with noodles and toss together.
Gradually add vinaigrette, tossing until all ingredients are well coated. Let sit for 15 minutes then serve.
Makes 4 servings