Stir-fried okra with tomato and green onions
Ideally, serve this dish over a cooked grain such as couscous, brown rice or quinoa; have the grain ready and keep warm.
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. (450 g) fresh okra
- 1 large tomato, peeled (use a potato peeler)
- 2 green onions, trimmed
- 3 tbsp. (45 mL) vegetable oil
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh coriander
1. Trim off stem end of okra, then thinly slice. Cut tomato into quarters, and slice quarters into narrow wedges. Next, slice green onions.
2. In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add okra, tomato and green onions; toss together for a minute or two. Then add lime juice, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until okra is tender. Just before serving, add coriander; toss together and serve over cooked grain.