Serve hot as a vegetable dish or at room temperature as a snack. Freeze unused tomato paste and coconut milk flat in freezer bags, and just break off pieces as needed.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) curry paste (such as Patak’s Madras curry paste) or to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chickpeas (or one 19 oz./540 mL can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) water
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. (30 mL) coconut milk or unflavoured yogurt
- 1⁄2 tsp. (2 mL) salt or to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic. Cook gently until tender, about 5 minutes. Add curry paste and cook 1 minute.
Stir in chickpeas, water and tomato paste. Cook gently until liquid has evaporated and chickpeas are hot and well coated. Remove from heat.
Stir in coconut milk and season with salt.