Raspberry lime rickey
Perfect as a thirst-quencher for a hot summer’s day, you can also try a more sophisticated version by adding a dash of rum, gin or vodka to the mix.
- 1½ cups (375 ml) fresh raspberries
- 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cold water
- 1 cup (250 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice (preferably key lime)
- 1½ cups (375 ml) chilled limonata (Italian lemon soda)
- 1½ cups (375 ml) chilled club soda
- 3 cups (750 ml) crushed ice
- 1 lime, cut into wheels for garnish
- Mint sprigs and extra berries for garnish
In a small saucepan over low heat, mix together the raspberries and the sugar with ¼ cup (60 ml) cold water.
Stir to dissolve the sugar and soften the raspberries, pressing them against the side of the pan until they release their juices, about 4 minutes. Press the raspberry purée through a fine sieve into a pitcher.
Gently pour in the fresh lime juice, limonata and soda, stirring to combine. Serve over crushed ice in tall glasses garnished with a lime wheel, a sprig of fresh mint and a scattering of raspberries.