Strawberry-stuffed French toast
Makes 4 servings
A little over-the-top and worth every calorie, this is the breakfast everyone will crave on Sunday mornings during strawberry season. Buy the large supermarket croissants and use the day after, allowing them to dry out slightly so they soak up more mixture.
• 4 large, day-old croissants
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) softened cream cheese
• 16 large strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
• 6 eggs
• 1 cup (250 mL) 10% cream (or half and half)
• 6 tbsp. (90 mL) granulated sugar
• 2 tsp. (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
• 3 tbsp. (45 mL) unsalted butter
• 3 tbsp. (45 mL) canola or other vegetable oil
• Icing sugar and pure maple syrup for topping
Slice each croissant in half lengthwise. Spread portion of cream cheese over surface of each half.
Place strawberry slices on four halves,then sandwich croissants together.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Dip each side of each croissant in egg mixture, making sure to submerge them (they should soak up some of the mixture but not enough to make croissant soggy).
In a large skillet, melt butter and oil together, then fry sandwiches until cooked through and golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. (Use a portion of butter and oil and fry in batches, if necessary.) Serve immediately with a dusting of icing sugar and warmed maple syrup.