Fragole al Balsamico
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Strawberries with balsamic vinegar is a favourite combination in Modena, Italy, which is where balsamic vinegar originates. When strawberries are allowed to steep in a mixture of the rich vinegar, along with sugar, lemon zest and fresh mint, something magical happens. (Start off with the minimum of sugar and add more depending on the sweetness of the berries.) Perfect following a meal that features Northern Italian dishes, such as osso bucco (braised veal shank) and a rich risotto.
• 5 cups (1.25 L, about 1 quart) strawberries, washed and hulled
• 3 tbsp. (45 mL) high-quality (aged atleast 8 years) balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp. (15 mL) grated lemon zest
• 20 fresh mint leaves, washed, dried, chopped
• 2 to 3 tbsp. (30 to 45 mL) extra-fine sugar
Slice strawberries into thirds and place in a mixing bowl. Add balsamic vinegar and stir well; let marinate for about 25 minutes.
Add lemon zest, mint and sugar; mix well and serve.