Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What are these shrubs/trees?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What are these shrubs/trees?

Postby HeelsDown » Oct 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi everyone!

I have three things left in my yard that I don't know what they are. Once I have these figured out, I'm happy to say I will know everything in my yard! And, thanks to many here that have got me this far.

The first shrub is about 5 feet high - it grows, but I prune it down so it doesn't grow past the windows (light is at a premium as it is!). It's green most of the year and then gets purply-blue berries in the late summer. No scent from what I can tell.

Second is this very unusual tree in our garden. Even our tree pruners were mystified. It looks like it was grafted at some point and the bottom "might" be walnut, but the top, no one seems to know. Green most of the year, late summer it starts getting reddish-orange berries, then the leaves go from green, to red and some to bright pink. It's very pretty. No smell again from what I can tell.

The last photo I'm pretty sure is a coke cherry...green most of the year except in the spring, it gets beautiful purply-red blossoms.

Thanks again all!!!
Jenn

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Sh ... directlink
HeelsDown

Re: What are these shrubs/trees?

Postby davefrombc » Oct 09, 2012 3:59 pm

I have no idea on the first two , but the third I would guess to be a species of Japanese ornamental cherry or plum; most likely a cherry
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby growitall » Oct 14, 2012 7:01 pm

The third tree is a crabapple, not a plum or cherry.

What part of the world do you live in? It's useful to know this when trying to ID plants.

Edit: Oops, from your forum name, I gather you're in BC... what zone?

The grafted tree looks like Euonymus alata... though why on earth it would be grafted, if so, is a mystery!

Could you post clearer pictures of the first and second ones?
growitall

Postby HeelsDown » Oct 16, 2012 3:10 pm

Sorry growital - of course! I'm in SW Ontario, zone 5B.

I thought that might be a crabapple too, but aren't the apples too small? That's why I was starting to think choke cherry b/c of the berry size. Regardless, it's very pretty in the spring!

If that is euronymus alata that would be amusingly ironic! I planted three dwarf burning bushes last fall in the back part of my yard and they have yet to turn red (figure they are too new) and I've been sad about that...then, lo and behold, my potential burning bush tree IS turning red LOL! I'll compare the leaves!

I can def take some clearer pictures if light allows...as soon as I can, I'll do so and let you know when they are ready!

Thanks!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby Heidi S » Oct 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Jenn, there are crab apples that have tiny pomes (the latin name of the fruit) that are cherry sized. These are the more ornamental types with no useable fruit. I have a little weeping crab with purple-pink flowers, leaves with purple underside/green on top, and the fruit is definitely tiny. So would agree that it could be a crab of some type - there are actually hundreds of crab varieties.

The others - not a clue!
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Return to Plant Talk