Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What Would You Do Differently Next Year?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: What Would You Do Differently Next Year?

Postby haili » Oct 01, 2012 3:29 pm

Cut back most of the clematis when they finish blooming in July. The ones I cut back are blooming again and very pretty.
haili

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am

haili wrote:Cut back most of the clematis when they finish blooming in July. The ones I cut back are blooming again and very pretty.

Why didn't I think of that?? LOL LOL Things would certainly look different here if I had.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby haili » Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm

I didn't know they would re-bloom but wanted to fix and raise the trellises. The early spring and hot summer probably had a lot to do with the lovely second blooming but it's worth a try again next year.
haili

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 02, 2012 9:30 pm

It's always hard to know what plant to buy - flower, fruit or vegetable. Lots of people have their opinion based on their experiences in their particular Zone - but you just have to ask in your area and then try things out. My garden is getting full and I think I have no more room for plants - but if I find a plant I really love - I pick one that I like less - and out it comes!! That's part of the fun of gardening. It certainly is hard when you aren't able to be around for your garden - as you found. I live in a hot dry summer area (we had 10% of normal rainfall this year) - so I put down a lot of compost and now I have put in drip irrigation and soaker hoses. It was easy to do, and very efficient watering system. I noticed a big improvement in my garden too! Now we have time to make our plans for next year!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 03, 2012 10:47 am

RubyTuesday49 wrote:It's always hard to know what plant to buy - flower, fruit or vegetable. Lots of people have their opinion based on their experiences in their particular Zone - but you just have to ask in your area and then try things out. My garden is getting full and I think I have no more room for plants - but if I find a plant I really love - I pick one that I like less - and out it comes!! That's part of the fun of gardening. It certainly is hard when you aren't able to be around for your garden - as you found. I live in a hot dry summer area (we had 10% of normal rainfall this year) - so I put down a lot of compost and now I have put in drip irrigation and soaker hoses. It was easy to do, and very efficient watering system. I noticed a big improvement in my garden too! Now we have time to make our plans for next year!

I am to that point now - something new replaces an existing plant that I like less. This past week I tore out a variety of false sunflower I don't like and sent a clematis packing to a friend.

Sorry to hear about how little rain you received but it sounds like you have made good choices with the soaker hoses and drip irrigation. Due to global warming, some of us are predicted to get less rain as the century progresses.

A Closet Canuck

Postby nickyn » Oct 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Next year I am going to build the platforms for my rainbarrells 3X as high next year. It just doesn't work when you have to put the watering can on its side :oops:

I am going to pot up my tomatoes 2 times before putting them in the garden. The ones that got the special treatment this year were up to 2 weeks earlier.

I will plant more popcorn. The stalks are shorter & it has very good yields for the amount of space that it takes up. Plus, I am addicted to it.

Put up bird netting BEFORE the birds eat my Black Currants, Red Currants & Gooseberries.

I NEED a big herb garden shaped like an Celtic Knot (; and more garden beds & a couple of acres to grow more fruit & nut trees. So, I guess next year I will win a lottery & buy more land (;

By the way - I noticed a few people would like to try more tomato varieties. If you are OK with growing them from seed, I have about 200 varieties of seed. If anyone is interested, my blog with taste tests is below my sign off!

Cheers
nickyn

Postby haili » Oct 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I'd pinch more annuals back when planting, though it's hard to defer the colour. I'd also pinch back the sedums in June so they don't get as floppy. As usual, I'd try not to crowd things so much, but that never happens!
haili

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 10, 2012 10:46 pm

Nickyn - When we moved here 4 yrs ago, I was going to put in rainbarrels at the corners of our house and workshop - BUT then I realized that we don't get enough rain to make it worthwhile! We normally get 35 mm (1 1/2") rain in each month - July, Aug & Sept - this year we got 10% !! Popcorn?? Is it a special kind of corn? Herb garden shaped like a celtic knot - sounds great!

Hali - I trimmed my Garden Mums down in mid-June in the hopes that it would keep them small and tidy but they are about 24" tall and 48" wide! They are just starting to bloom now - in another week they'll be great! It was hard to cut them back in mid-June because they looked like they already had buds, but next year I will cut them back even more!!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby nickyn » Oct 11, 2012 9:14 am

Haili,

Yes, its a bit different than sweet corn. My husband got me a hand crank popcorn maker for Christmas last year. I liked the expensive popcorn from the farmer's market SO much better than the grocery store stuff, that I figured I had better grow my own :lol:

Sorry - not sure how to make that pic any smaller!
nickyn

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 11, 2012 10:18 am

nickyn wrote:..........By the way - I noticed a few people would like to try more tomato varieties. If you are OK with growing them from seed, I have about 200 varieties of seed. If anyone is interested, my blog with taste tests is below my sign off!

Cheers

Nice blog. Sorry to hear about the death of your rooster. I appreciated reading your ratings of tomatoes. The 'Manzarini' and ' Kosovo' sound like keepers.

A Closet Canuck

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk