Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What Would You Do Differently Next Year?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: What Would You Do Differently Next Year?

Postby nickyn » Oct 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Thanks for the compliment. Still missing Napo the Roo :cry:

The tomatoes were a lot of fun to taste - although my husband was starting to dread the Friday night taste testing nights by the end of the summer (: Kosovo & Mazarini were both fantastic. I really like the sweetness of the heart shaped tomatoes!
nickyn

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 11, 2012 5:16 pm

nickyn wrote:............ - although my husband was starting to dread the Friday night taste testing nights by the end of the summer (:

LOL LOL I can understand his feelings.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Wow Nickyn!! Great looking corn! I know nothing about corn. So you grow a specific type of corn? Who knew! Do you cut it off the cob or do you wait til it's dried on the cob? - oh I see some use Zea mays praecox for popping corn. Your corn looks amazing - love the colours!
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby nickyn » Oct 12, 2012 9:51 am

There are fantastic places for sweet corn all around me (s.Ontario), so I don't bother growing any corn except popcorn. This year I grew Miniature Blue, Pink Popcorn and Cherokee Long Ear. The Cherokee Long Ear was my favourite. Basically the popcorn kernels have harder, non-pourous exterior shells that trap steam when heated & eventually explode into popcorn. They also have a very starchy centre.

Here is a simple explanation of different types of corn.
http://www2.kenyon.edu/projects/farmschool/food/corntyp.htm

To harvest, just let it dry on the plant. Mine were getting a bit bug eaten before completely dry, so I just brought them into the garage to finish drying. When it is dry you don't cut it - just push the kernels off of the cob. The colours are gorgeous!

You can grow ornamental corn too - Japonica Striped looks great in a planter!

A Closet Canuck - Hubby will be thinking wistfully about the Friday night taste tests once the snow hits (:
nickyn

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 12, 2012 12:06 pm

nickyn wrote:..........A Closet Canuck - Hubby will be thinking wistfully about the Friday night taste tests once the snow hits (:

LOL Isn't that always the way?

A Closet Canuck

Postby Elena Zimmerman » Dec 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Snow came in so hard and early this year, I did not do any pruning. I wrapped the most tender shrubs up, but that's about it. Now I am wondering if I could prune the other stuff later in the winter/early spring? I have always done that in the fall. My biggest concerns are the raspberries. I planned to prune them and pin them down, but did not. Too late to pin them to the ground now,

Well, at least i covered up the strawberries real good!

Still can't decide about my currants. I was so bend on pulling them out and planting tomatoes there instead with flowers, but now I am starting to have the 'maybe it will be different this year' thoughts. (Sigh) I guess I just need to get rid of them for good, and not get tempted again! That endless spraying for fruit fly is no good for my garden.
Gardening in Calgary, AB, Zone 3, Chinook conditions
Elena Zimmerman

Postby A Closet Canuck » Dec 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Elena, that has happened to me. Winter either starts suddenly and very early or it waits until January. All of your plants will be there next Spring - it would be nice to get done in the Fall what you want to get done but it doesn't always work out. Hopefully, you will be able to get into the garden early next year to get caught up on your chores.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Scrapinthehat » Dec 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Well in 2013 I plan:

1) not to add any Lilies...well Lily bulbs. Seems like I have enough tall, spindlely stuff.

2) to put my flower beds back together. A couple of them have all the bark removed which is located in various pots...still sitting in the yard. Guess that is the downside of having bark.

3) fertilize the perennials...haven't in about five years or so (have added compost though!).

4) like Dan, I hope to enjoy the yard. Didn't enjoy it this year...not sure why.
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

Postby orchidguy » Dec 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Elena,
I wouldn't worry too much about getting all the yard work done at this time of year, as spring will come soon enough, and you can finish the rest then. I do not trim anything after mid August here, and always wait for spring weather to arrive before pruning and trimming.

Scrap
Am going to enjoy the garden this year, but alas, I have faltered with my plant, bulb, seed orders once again this year, and have order or will order as much as I do/did every year (if not more)......I just can't help it. The only thing left on my list to get is a good June/mid season bearing strawberry . Right now am growing Schwartze,Laramie,Sasha, Totem and an unknown cultivar that was taken from my Grandmother's garden
orchidguy

Postby Scrapinthehat » Dec 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Good reminder...I'm in need of new Strawberry plants too. Truth be told, they should've been replaced last year, but weren't. Each summer (well year actually) goes by faster than the one before! And I just never seem to get everything done.

Dan I just can't imagine you getting plant material than previous years. You are so ambitious ...which I greatly admire. As stated previously, your gardens must truly be wonderous. Would love to see pics of your tea house some time!
"Better to be a silly girl with a flower, than a silly boy with a horse and a stick."
Jocelyn, a character from A Knight's Tale
Scrapinthehat

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk