Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Anybody have a major gardening project this year?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Anybody have a major gardening project this year?

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 17, 2008 7:10 pm

We are removing the huge strip of grass along both fences; the grass never grew well there anyway, and it was a pain in the butt to mow. I think I'll order a huge load of crushed rock; the kind we got a few years ago was more like river rock, with rounded edges...probably a better choice under foot.

I've also been lax with my perennials, a major job of dividing them and planting them in better spots awaits me. Ooh, my aching back!

One of these years I will tackle the front yard. A friend of mine dug up all her grass and planted the whole front with grasses and perennials. I can't see my husband letting go of that much precious grass, but we'll see...
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Apr 17, 2008 10:21 pm

Yes! We are tearing all the grass out of this part of the yard and putting in garden beds this year. We are also removing the dog pen and incorporating it into the garden plans. We won't be doing all the plantings though. Watch for before and after photos! Donna, make sure you post some before and after photos too.
Attachments
back-yard.JPG
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby murphy » Apr 18, 2008 8:13 am

I have a wild native garden that has been overtaken by Yarrow. I want to dig up the blue flax and the lady's dame rocket, and some wild mulliens, clean out they yarrow and replant them with some slightly less aggressive companions. It will be really a tough dig though as the yarrow is in a thick mat all through this bed.

I have a similar bed in the back that is mostly natives but some other cultivated plants that is a butterfly bed.....I need to rework it also...then there is the hosta bed where my hosta are magically disappearing. I think the dog is peeing on them...need to plant some new ones, move some around so that they can be seen better and then mulch the whole lot of them. Infact I want to mulch the entire yard this year. I also have the rock garden on the hill that all the plants got way to tall in....I have to dig out the dozens of foxgloves that have taken it over and the perennial bachelor buttons..also need to go from this garden (what was I thinking?) I also would like to get hubby to build my a yoga hut in the right hand corner of the back yard....and we have to take down our 21ft above ground pool that got damaged this winter...and put in a new one...all without killing everything around it....hhhhmmmmmmmm....I am tired just thinking about it all...better go and get started..LOL :shock: :? :lol:
murphy

Postby kelly_m » Apr 18, 2008 9:44 am

I have a huge project planned...but don't know if it will happen this year.

See...my driveway goes right up to the house because at one point there was an attached garage, which has now been turned into a room with a view!

In front is gravel. Ugly expanse of gravel....soooooo...a huge part leading to where I want the driveway to start is going to be turned into garden and path to side door.....

Will post pics...before when the task gets closer at hand!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » Apr 18, 2008 10:39 am

Daisy and Kelly, those are interesting projects.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 18, 2008 11:09 am

Daisy with all you have to do I think I'd hide in the yoga hut.I hope you have lots of help! Been here and done that.
!JOY
agedgardener2

Postby murphy » Apr 18, 2008 3:08 pm

aged gardener wrote:Daisy with all you have to do I think I'd hide in the yoga hut.I hope you have lots of help! Been here and done that.
!JOY

HEY DAISY...no stealing MY yoga hut :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
murphy

Next

Return to Plant Talk