Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

red ants - remedies

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

red ants - remedies

Postby cg_admin » Apr 18, 2008 3:32 pm

a friend of mine has an infestation of red ants (same as fire ants?..)

it started late last summer, when she found a few anthills on her property, and the colonies have effectively wiped a couple of plants. She was hoping it was a few isolated trouble spots, and left it alone. After the cold, snowy winter, she hoped the anthills have died off, but now she's telling me it's gotten much worse. There's a network of them, going from the back of the yard to the porch.

Any remedies for this invasion? My friend is dead against using chemicals or polluting the soil with something harmful. Can you recommend something?

Thanks

Dmitry
cg_admin
Site Admin

Postby cg_admin » Apr 18, 2008 4:10 pm

thanks, but does this work on red ants? These guys actually sting, and they're very aggressive.
cg_admin
Site Admin

Postby Lindamct » Apr 18, 2008 4:24 pm

Tablespoon of Boric acid mixed with a cup of white sugar and 2 litres of boiling water. Got rid of mine after 3 applications at 1 week intervals. Now the neighbour has them :lol:. Didn't harm the birds and the bees :)
Lindamct

Return to Plant Talk