Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Moonflower

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Moonflower

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 20, 2008 6:41 pm

I have tried to grow moonflower vine all my gardening life but could never germinate them succesfully.Thanks to a post I read on CG I have germinated two so far.I'm so thrilled and not too many things thrill me at my age!!JOY[b][/b]
agedgardener2

did you 'nick' them + soak them overnight?

Postby evepet » Apr 20, 2008 7:47 pm

I've a novice at starting things indoors early, but I'd like to see if I can get some Morning Glory seedlings going early. Did you nick the seeds, then soak them overnight as per the directions? Is it that 'nicking' of the seeds that makes the difference? Also to clarify ... do you mean that you put the container with the seedlings right in the oven (off of course) but with the oven light on, and that provided the extra light that was required? I have eastern-exposure windows, and get pretty direct sunlight from about 7am through to noon, so have to look for additional sources of providing the seedling trays with some light. I'm not at the point where I have invested in the shelfs/attached overhead lights, etc., that I've read about here... althought I'm tempted LOL. I can see that coming for next year.... I've been putting my flat of seeds on a couple of plastic boxes on the top of my stovetop in order to raise them up closer to the stove's overhead light, and leaving that light on overnight. Would that do about the same thing? Thx for your help.
evepet

Postby butterfly » Apr 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Morning glory seeds

I have soaked them over nite and plant the next day

Don't lave them in water like I did one time for another day

They sour and then no good

I find the best thing for me anyway. I place them inside wet kleenex or paper towells for overnite or til they sprout

Then plant them

I have also just planted them directly in the soil inside of course on the window sill and they germinate fine

Don't plant them too early

I did one year and they went spindly and weak. Middle of May or end of may for me is early enough cause they germinate and grow so fast

Good luck

Moon flowers They should be planted earlier but I don't care for these as they hardly ever bloom, for me anyway
Last edited by butterfly on Apr 20, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Paul zone5 » Apr 20, 2008 7:55 pm

evepet,
There have been several posts about people having difficulty starting morning glories. It is a mystery to me why they won't grow. In my garden I planted them twice, and now have them coming up all over. If they weren't so pretty and easy to pull out,I would have added them to my list of plants that were not wanted.

Good luck getting them started.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby agedgardener2 » Apr 20, 2008 8:05 pm

Evepet;I put them in the oven for the heat from the light.It is just the right tempeed it after.They both like to be . for germination.Moonflwers and MG don't need light to germinate but nwarm.JOY
agedgardener2

Thanks...

Postby evepet » Apr 20, 2008 11:09 pm

Butterfly, Paulzone5, and Aged Gardener - thanks all of you for your advice. It's appreciated!
evepet

Postby murphy » Apr 21, 2008 8:04 pm

Congrats on the Moonflower...I grew them one year but only got a couple of blooms..planted them too late I think.

I find the damp paper towel the best for germination...for me anyway. I have left them in water and haven't found them to sour...but not as many would germinate.
murphy

Postby Eeyore » Apr 21, 2008 10:10 pm

This has been interesting, I'm going to start some indoors this year because I've never had any luck starting them outdoors.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Morning Glories

Postby Gloworm » Apr 25, 2008 8:14 am

Interesting topic, I tried for years to grow MGs in my garden, never the right soil or conditions I suppose. Two years ago, I decided a different approach.
I did soak the seeds , but as most of you said, in wet paper towels, and voila, in no time there were the little tails, and germination. I jut put the wet towels, with seeds in my kitchen cupboard.
Then I planted some in my (still inside the house) large potted geranium
and in no time , I had stems and flowers. I put a garden hook in the pot
and put the pot in front of my patio doors. The mg's were the mixed variety, and every morning I had new colours. It was thrilling, and so easy.
I also planted some in a long narrow planting container, the kind you put on deck railings. and put it at the bottom of a trellis,,,, just make sure its watered often............ Just some hints , if anyone else wants to try it...
Bought some moonflower ones this yr... not planted yet, but will do the
container thing there too,,, ,,, this way I am sure of the soil.......... more work watering , but worth the effort,,,,,,,,,,,,, good luck, and happy gardening
gloworm:)
Gloworm

Postby Hushypuppy » Apr 25, 2008 12:12 pm

I started some MG's in the house this spring. Every seed germinated and now I have MGs going up my patio door. If I don't get them outside soon I won't be able to look out LOL. I did put them on a warming mat till they germinated. I also know plenty of people who just sprinkle the seeds in their garden near a fence and voila

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Next

Return to Plant Talk