Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

My Forsythia

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

My Forsythia

Postby Lindamct » Apr 22, 2008 9:18 am

Sharon, I hope you can help me. It does look lovely and bright, however the blooms only go half way up the height of the shrub, and they are all at the lower half. Do I prune down to where the flowers were once it is done blooming, or where should I prune it to. I know you will know what I should do....help :? :)
Lindamct

Postby Eeyore » Apr 22, 2008 10:26 am

You don't need to prune the Forsythia back. It is only the flower buds that are dead, not the rest of the branches. Forsythia is one of those plants that set's buds in the previous year, the root is winter hardy but the buds are not. The buds below snow level will be insulated and protected and bloom the following year but depending on how harsh the winter is the ones above snowline may not bloom. Do you know what variety it is that you have Linda?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lindamct » Apr 22, 2008 10:57 am

Lyn I am not sure of the variety it is. It was one of those stragglers hanging around the CT garden centre all by itself. But I think for some reason Gold Flame rings a bell with me. Thanks for your in put. :) I will not prune it.
Lindamct

Postby Sharon Bryson » Apr 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi Linda:
Lyn is right about your Forsythia....there are several cultivars that are deemed to be a bit hardier than the early types...Ottawa Gold(I think) is one.
We have a couple of different ones here(no blooms yet), but don't know which cultivars they are.....they have been around for ages.
Some years we have loads of bloom, others are a bit scanty.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Eeyore » Apr 22, 2008 1:53 pm

In zone 5 most of the Forsythias should be reliable but in a harsh winter they may not be. Northern Gold is supposed to be the most reliable but if it is exposed to wind that will have an effect on it as well.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Durgan » Apr 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Pruning Forsythia Bushes:

The purpose is to improve shape and have full blooms next year. If pruned right after 'blooming' new growth will form, and this will be next years blooms. Without pruning, the bush gets rather wild looking, but some prefer this situation.

Pruning of forsythia bushes is best done just after they've finished putting on their flower display in spring,

Begin by pruning 1/4 to 1/3 of oldest branches, pruning them right down to the ground. This will encourage new growth and a more compact form.

You can also selectively cut branches in order to improve upon the overall shape of your forsythia plants.

Only the branches with new growth will have blooms next year.

Note: If you prune at any other time, basically you will be cutting off next years blooms. I did this once to my chagrin. The bushes can take a lot of weather abuse in my experience. My two forsythia bushes are just about ready to bloom 22 April 2008.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Return to Plant Talk