Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

How warm should it be...

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Big Smile » Apr 26, 2008 9:57 pm

meggylou wrote:I have double yellow datura seeds that I just received last week.
Can I directly sow them outside or should I start them off inside, I know it's late now but I still want to try. What is the best method of doing this, I've never grown these from seed before.


I think if you start them indoors you will get earlier blooms. You can soak the seed in warm water for a couple days then plant .
For faster germination put the seed between paper towels, moisten the towels and place in a plastic bag in a warm place, like a sunny window .
Check the seeds every day to make sure the towel is damp. When the seed begins to sprout plant them so they are just covered with soil. Use a light soiless mix. You should see growth in 2 or 3 days.

Good Luck!

Clara
User avatar
Big Smile
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Gowanstown ON zone 5

Postby Eeyore » Apr 26, 2008 9:58 pm

It got to 15 here today so I stuck them out for a couple of hours. They were just fine until the sun got on their leaves and they started to droop. I brought them in then.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
User avatar
Eeyore
 
Posts: 11182
Joined: Nov 14, 2006 10:47 pm
Location: AB, Zone 3A

Postby Big Smile » Apr 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Eeyore wrote:It got to 15 here today so I stuck them out for a couple of hours. They were just fine until the sun got on their leaves and they started to droop. I brought them in then.


Lyn , with temp. of 15 your snow will soon be gone.

I put my seedlings in filtered sun to harden up.

Clara
User avatar
Big Smile
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Gowanstown ON zone 5

Postby butterfly » Apr 26, 2008 11:02 pm

I forgot to soak the seeds

I started more last week

They will take for ever to germinate, right? or will they rot in the soil first?
Cheers Butterfly




Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
User avatar
butterfly
 
Posts: 3234
Joined: Nov 15, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Zone 5b Butterfly

Postby Big Smile » Apr 27, 2008 7:26 am

butterfly wrote:I forgot to soak the seeds

I started more last week

They will take for ever to germinate, right? or will they rot in the soil first?


Butterfly, I don't think the seeds will rot they will just take longer to germinate.

Put the container in a warm place they need heat to germinate , they may surprise you.

Clara
User avatar
Big Smile
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm
Location: Gowanstown ON zone 5

Postby butterfly » Apr 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Big Smile wrote:
butterfly wrote:I forgot to soak the seeds

I started more last week

They will take for ever to germinate, right? or will they rot in the soil first?


Butterfly, I don't think the seeds will rot they will just take longer to germinate.

Put the container in a warm place they need heat to germinate , they may surprise you.

Clara


I have them on top of the fridge, 2 weeks now. One is just barely showing today

Whoopie!!
Cheers Butterfly




Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
User avatar
butterfly
 
Posts: 3234
Joined: Nov 15, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Zone 5b Butterfly

Previous

Return to Plant Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Follow Style At Home Online

Facebook Activity

Contests

Latest Contests

more contests