Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Spring planting

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Spring planting

Postby garden24 » Apr 29, 2008 8:50 am

I have just moved to Southern Ontario. I have been trying to find the last average frost date for the Niagara region so I can know when to start planting hardy perennials and shrubs. Anyone know this? I live in zone 6b.
garden24

Postby murphy » Apr 29, 2008 9:44 am

the usual frost free date for the province is the may long weekend. You probably could move that up a few weeks where you live...but nature being what it is....you could always get a frost after that point. Ask a neighbor when they plant stuff out....they live there and probably know best.
murphy

Postby Venice » Apr 29, 2008 4:12 pm

ya what Murphy said, or ask a local nursery (not big box store).

Ven
Venice

Postby B_BQ » Apr 29, 2008 4:24 pm

You know what? I think you could go ahead now and plant hardy perennials and shrubs. I know the Niagara region is at least 2 weeks ahead of us in south/central Ontario. Dig a nice big hole, plant the shrubs and/or perennials, and back fill it with good soil and compost. Water well, and they should do just fine. If by chance there is frost forecast at all then you could just throw a light blanket or sheet, or other covering over them, but I suspect you will be safe now in your area.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby joan w » Apr 29, 2008 6:35 pm

If the perrenials are hardened off I would plant them.
Image Image
joan w

Return to Plant Talk