Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Fairy Rose Bush...does anyone know??

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby dlb » May 01, 2008 11:02 am

Roses can generally be propagated by taking cuttings, although I must admit I haven't had much luck with that. If it is a rose on its own roots (is it a miniature? If so it probably is on its own roots) you'll be able to divide it when it is big enough. Just separate out any suckers and pot up or plant on their own. But if it is grafted onto root stock, you'll probably have will have to go the cutting route.
Dora

EDIT: Article on rose cuttings in case you have never done this:
http://www.ars.org/About_Roses/propagating-cuttings-hulse.html
dlb

Postby Sheikea » May 01, 2008 4:18 pm

OMG that is beautiful I so want one.Do they come in different colors can you grow them on trellis? :D
Sheikea

Postby Sheikea » May 01, 2008 6:50 pm

Thats wonderful."Grabs her purse and rushes to the local Greenhouse,,,needs fairie roses." :lol:
Sheikea

Postby sunkeeper » May 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Here's how to propagate the fairy

1) Take good-sized cuttings (about the size and diameter of a #2 pencil) in late Sept. or Oct.as the rose bushes are still green, but are about done blooming for the year.

2) Clean the cuttings in cold water, then drench them in a strong solution of bleach and cold water (1/2 c bleach to 2 gals water). Place cuttings immediately in clean ziplocks, then refrigerate in the vegetable drawer.

3) Cuttings can be kept for up to 4 months in the refrigerator. They will stay green, just make sure they don't freeze. The bleach treatment should prevent mold & bacterial decay. You may find after 3 months that the green stems are starting to push out leafbuds behind the leaves still on the stem.

4) When you are ready, take the cuttings out of the fridge and repeat the bleach treatment as above. Then trim the cuttings the way you want to stick them, plunge them in a slightly warm bath of water + kelp solution (should be color of ice tea) for 10 mins. This is their first drink in 4 months, and very important.

5) Stick the cuttings as you ordinarily would. Using a rooting hormone. In about 6-8 weeks you will see root initals and callous start to form, in 8-12 weeks you will have leafing out and real roots forming. You can use this method for outdoors or growing out under lights.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby Eeyore » May 01, 2008 11:34 pm

OMG Daisy! Send me a cutting packed in peat moss! :shock: That is one gorgeous rose!

If it is on it's own root you can probably divide it with a good sharp spade. Look for a place where it looks like it has sent off an offshoot and cut straight down with the spade. I need to do that with a couple of my roses this year.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Eeyore » May 02, 2008 10:26 am

That would be great Daisy!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Sheikea » May 02, 2008 10:10 pm

Hun can you please give me the latin name for this beautiful rose.i am on the hunt..LOL.. :lol:
Sheikea

Next

Return to Plant Talk