Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Has anyone done this?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Has anyone done this?

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 5:09 pm

I just spent 1/2 hour up the orchard ladder to the garage roof planting Hens and chicks up there. The roof is very very old, wood shingles, lots of moss.

I added some potting soil and plunked the critters down in this, kind of patting them into place.

Does anyone know how to do it properly? should I have stapled chicken wire down over the bit of soil and then planted, using the wire to hold the Hens etc in place???
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Venice » May 03, 2008 5:12 pm

What about some hot glue???? :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a great idea. Where are you getting all these succulents??? You must show us some pictures. I know my parents were interested in having a 'green' roof on a shed or something.

Ven
Venice

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Hot glue/low temp glue guns, don't do a thing to keep these guys in place...I tried with the half-ball and had to use floral pics.

My next door neighbour gives them to me...she has been growing them for a lot of years and they have taken over her garden. She mostly gardens in pots, does a lot of work with brick paths, stones, etc etc. She gave me over a hundred, and could easily give me five hundred more without making her place look stripped.

Can't take a picture because the batteries are now in the re charger...tomorrow, maybe if I remember.

I am just waiting for the Starlings to come along, dig up everything and heave it to the ground, as they hunt for grubs/insects. They do this with the moss, always.

Yes, I too want a green roof...and not just moss! I'd love to plant wildflowers up there...it gets really dry and hot in summer. (THAT's where I should plant my tomatoes!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Lindamct » May 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Now that sounds real neat! Yes....I second that.....Liz post some pics later! (anxiously awaiting to see green on a roof) :o So 8) of an idea! If you forget to do pics....I shall remind thee :wink:
Lindamct

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Thank you, Lindamct, I'd appreciate that.

There isn't too much to see right now, I think I planted maybe 15...somehow I must leave some sort of a path because husb. climbs onto the roof to pick cherries and I don't want him breaking his neck trying to avoid my poultry! (heck he can use the other side of the roof...I'm not planning to plant it!)
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Eeyore » May 04, 2008 12:26 am

A green roof! Liz, I love it! My only concern is that the roof can handle the added weight!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 04, 2008 1:11 am

Liz,

That sounds like a great idea! Do you get enough rain, so that you aren't constantly watering the plants? We get such intense sunlight here on the prairies that most plants would fry to a crisp on the roof. There is a building on campus that has a planted roof; that's quite an initiative when you consider the effort it must have taken to get it in place...

You are so much ahead of me in the gardening season...I'm just starting to clean up last fall's debris and I do see a few plants poking out...but certainly not all yet.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 04, 2008 3:10 am

Donna, my avatar does not say Wet Coast for nothing, but this has been the driest (and the coldest spring) on record.

I do not have a clue how the Hens will survive up there this year ...I could have wasted my time but it was fun!

Yes, the coast IS AHEAD OF YOU, BUT once those long hours of sunlight kick in, you will leave me standing at the starter's gate. I am close to the 49th parallel (sp?) daylight/sunlight from only 6 a.m. till 9 p.m. while you get much much beter and more intense light than I do here where I live and the temp is called "moderate."

Keep in mind that sometimes we have pet flea problems year round, and sometimes in Jan, I must treat roses for aphids...and black spot on them just doesn't quit.

we could get such a hot summer that the Hens will burn to a crisp up there if I forget them...but my approach to gardening is nothing ventured, nothing gained (which explains why i have success one year and fail utterly the next! That is the thrill of gardening!)

I think perhaps I will have lost a pet rose this year, "Perdita" she is showing too much sign of distress, too early. This could bode ill for the rest in that rose bed...a harbinger of what is to come...I MUST be philosophiical about this, 7 years, I had a good run for my money...but I do love my roses...sigh. Was a terrible place to plant roses in the first place.[/list]
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby keke » May 04, 2008 9:37 am

Liz Cordysmum wrote:I think perhaps I will have lost a pet rose this year, "Perdita" she is showing too much sign of distress, too early. This could bode ill for the rest in that rose bed...a harbinger of what is to come...I MUST be philosophiical about this, 7 years, I had a good run for my money...but I do love my roses...sigh. Was a terrible place to plant roses in the first place.

Hey, Liz, join the club. I lost my beloved eight year old climber Mme Alfred Carriere over the winter -- after battling (if you would believe it) fireblight all last wet, cold summer. Couldn't figure out what the problem was at first, but the longer it went on the more obvious it became. Never heard of a rose getting fireblight before (normally seen on pear and plum trees) but as you know roses, pears and plums are in the same family. Times like that I wish we still had access to the "bad" fungicides.

I hauled out the stump (as thick around as my wrist) the other week and I mourned.... I'm a little reluctant to replace her with another rose there but I can't think of what else will climb up and over the garage roof.

keke
keke

Postby Lindamct » May 04, 2008 9:45 am

Lizzieeeee oh LIZZIEEEEEE....LIZ....wakey wakey :lol: . I want to see those cluck clucks and cockadoodle doos today. This is your reminder :D
Lindamct

Next

Return to Plant Talk