Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

City supplied Compost

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

City supplied Compost

Postby Durgan » May 05, 2008 2:35 pm

City supplied Compost
http://aikuih.notlong.com/ 5 May 2008 Vegetative compost supplied by the City of Brantford.

Vegetative compost is available at no cost from the city during the month of May. This is usually too late for use in the Spring, so I obtain a load every day while it lasts, and store it in one of my bins until placed on the garden in the Fall.

I built a small two tier container equivalent in size to two garbage cans, which fits into the back of my van, to facilitate loading and unloading. I utilize this split box for hauling wood chips, and other aggregates as required.

This is the only fertilizer utilized, and it appears to be adequate for the growing needs of my plants. It appears the compost is screened, and it is absolutely devoid of any weeds.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Venice » May 05, 2008 5:20 pm

wow free is a nice price!!! our is $35 a ton. so still really cheap. They open it up in April. We got a bit batch a few weeks ago, and it's really nice stuff, very fine, and not a lot of sticks or anything in it. I want to get some more for the plants and pots.

Ven
Venice

Postby Lindamct » May 05, 2008 5:27 pm

After seeing these 2 posts, I emailed our Dept of Agr questioning whether or not they have considered a City Compost. Hope I get some feedback. This would be awesome to have here :)
Lindamct

Postby Durgan » May 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Venice wrote:wow free is a nice price!!! our is $35 a ton. so still really cheap. They open it up in April. We got a bit batch a few weeks ago, and it's really nice stuff, very fine, and not a lot of sticks or anything in it. I want to get some more for the plants and pots.

Ven

How many wheelbarrels full in a ton of the compost, that you purchase from the city? Does the $35.00 include transport?
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Venice » May 05, 2008 9:00 pm

You pay buy the pound. It's at the local dump, and you just pull in and get how much you want. But the rate is $35 a ton.

We went and filled two big recycle bins, a huge black bin, and 3 5gal buckets and it was only $7.

Ven
Venice

Postby B_BQ » May 05, 2008 9:10 pm

This is really good.
I don't think we have this in our neck of the woods, but I shall make some enquiries.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lindamct » May 05, 2008 9:29 pm

Us either BBQ. :)
Lindamct

Postby nwm1960 » May 05, 2008 10:01 pm

At the land fill in Saint John they will fill a half ton for $10. It's a bit far but worth the trip.

Norm
nwm1960

Postby Lindamct » May 06, 2008 10:38 am

I got a reply back this morning from the Dept of Agr, and they are working towards having a municipal compost. It is in the plans. Not sure when it will happen though. Right now the green boxes don't comply with the fertilizer act, but the initiatives are in place she said. :)
Lindamct

Next

Return to Plant Talk