Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Even more bizarre

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby patty » May 05, 2008 10:38 pm

It's pretty close to 4 hrs to Penetang, so no not that far. The igloo land comes from frequently visiting relatives in the area, and both my sister and i were always cold. Didn't seem to matter how hot the temps were, we were still cold. Coming back home, around the Hanover area it was like someone turned a furnace on. We use to jokingly say we must be getting closer to the equator. And we always referred up there as igloo land. It's just something that has stuck with me into adulthood. I really shouldn't say it though. I still do find it cold though;)
patty

Postby kelly_m » May 05, 2008 10:45 pm

LOL!! But then....that's 4 hours mostly East!!

If you visited those realtives in the winter I can certainly understand it....but then I do get cold too...even today I kept my sweater on even though the temp said 22....Celcius that is....

Remind me to put a fire in my Igloo next year!! :twisted: :wink:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby patty » May 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Never in winter!! Hell I would never last lol.
patty

Postby patty » May 05, 2008 11:55 pm

Kelly I just looked up wandering jew plant hardiness and seen zone 8. That's pretty cool yours survived. I once had a penstemon mother of pearl which was for zone 8 overwinter. Also had a trailing verbena overwinter once. Tried the latter several times after that in the same spot and never happened again lol.
patty

Postby kelly_m » May 06, 2008 9:18 am

Zone 8, eh...cool...will keep that in mind for next year!!LOL

I'm gonna call it my wee tiny micro climate!! My oxalis that over wintered is right nearby!

I guess it all depends on winter conditions too....

K

BTW...there are some days when I don't think I'll survive either...I like being warm!

Oh and...this is what the lily you sent me looked like a week or so ago....can't remember what the name is though!! :oops:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Sheikea » May 06, 2008 9:24 am

I love all those herbie things but I have so much dried atm I am not going to grow more this year.My house is over run of dried herbs.I truely love the smell of thyme and Rosemary I also do Lavenders two varieties the sea one and the regular one oh gosh whats that called M something..LOL.My Sea Lavender comes back every year and is a beautiful plant think im gonna move it today over to the ponds though. :D
Sheikea

Postby kelly_m » May 06, 2008 9:27 am

I just have the regular one too...I was worried they wouldn't take because they really did not have much root when they got transplanted from the old house...but...3 out of 4 have come back!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby patty » May 06, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm happy to see it came through for you Kelly! I hope you like it. It's Oriental Muscadet. Very fragrant!!
patty

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » May 06, 2008 10:49 pm

I know everyone had way too much snow in your area, I would love to have some of that moisture way out here :lol: :lol:
We've had drought going on for 3 years now and no snow cover for most of the winter. I noticed some of the plants were up-rooted :( :( not sure how many of my perennials have survived! It's a wait and see kind of season!!
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby kelly_m » May 07, 2008 10:21 am

Thanks Patty!! I've now written it down in my journal!

Sandy...I wish I could send some your way!! We are in for a T-storm soon...can hear the rumblings...
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Previous

Return to Plant Talk