Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

when to bring out brugs

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

when to bring out brugs

Postby jazz » May 06, 2008 8:19 am

It will be 19 celcius today and 13 tonite. They are getting quite big and i need the room. Jazz
jazz

Postby B_BQ » May 06, 2008 8:37 am

Hi Jazz:
I had the same question!
It's going to be really nice here today too, and I am going to bring up my Brugs and put them into my new little greenhouse for the day, but I am wondering if I could now leave them in the greenhouse at night too.

My tommytoe plants are also coming up into the greenhouse today, and I'm going to leave them there until I plant them.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 06, 2008 2:16 pm

What I've read about Brugs, is that they need 15 C at night (at least) before they go out.

Last fall mine were outside still when it went close to zero, tho...and when they came indoors they bloomed like mad.

I don't think I will see 15 C at night for awhile yet.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby patty » May 06, 2008 10:57 pm

I have had my small one outside for a few weeks now, bringing it indoors for a few days during that cold spell we had. Our night temps have been around 5 C. But one night it did go down around 0 and we got frost. The leaves that did get damaged are already growing back again. I would be keeping my bigger ones out too if they weren't so heavy and awkward to move in and out if the temps do really dip down again.

I think if they are placed close to the west side of the house they should be okay, so I'm thinking of getting it done with and put them out.
patty

Postby Eeyore » May 06, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks Patty, I've been debating with the Dats. It's still a bit too cold at night yet but I've had them out until well into the evening and it's down around 6 or 7C so I figure another week and they'll be good to go out.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby murphy » May 07, 2008 8:21 am

:shock: what is a BRUG...do you mean to say there is this desirable plant out there I know nothing about :?:
murphy

Postby B_BQ » May 07, 2008 8:27 am

Murphy wrote::shock: what is a BRUG...do you mean to say there is this desirable plant out there I know nothing about :?:

:lol:

BRUGS - Brugmansia
DATS - Datura

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby murphy » May 07, 2008 8:36 am

ohhh...I throw mine out daily...leave them if it is over five over night...and bring it in when it is not...already just about to burst into bloom. I find it likes to be outdoors more than in as long as it is not damp cold and windy.
murphy

Postby Lindamct » May 07, 2008 9:04 am

Won't it be nice when we can get stuff planted :D . I was just saying to DH last night, I am getting anxious! I want to get my house plants back to their usual window! :)
Lindamct

Postby jazz » May 18, 2008 11:08 am

I took my 5 plants outside on monday. It didnt go below 0 but it was sunny. Tried to hide them a bit from the sun all week to hardy them off. But this am sunny. So leaves are a bit dying. i know they grow back fast. Just want to be reassured that I am doing the right thing.

Dont tell me to bring them back in much too heavy. Thanks. Jazz
jazz

Next

Return to Plant Talk