Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

when to bring out brugs

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby green thumb guy » May 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Jazz,

I found it much easier to remove all the leaves offmy brugs and let them re-leaf naturally and voila! no burning.

I was late this year bringing them out of the basement.

Usually, i load up the greenhouse with cannas and brugs. The only problems is, then I can't get in to water without hauling them out of the ilse.

So, I was running out of time to bring them out of dormancy, and decided that I would just put them out side . A few of them had some white leaves from the lack of light and burnt right away. Just took a closer look at them today and trimmed the die back - -I can see the new growth coming slowly.

I see the forecast is indicating that it will go as low as 4C here in Brampton. Of course, the sky has cleared for a lovely evening now that the day is done.

I'm not woried temp wise. My concern is for the risk of frost.

Ion't think I'm gonna haul them all in now. I'm just too tired.
green thumb guy

Postby jazz » May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks for your answer. I too took off the burnt leaves. I have another quest. Why is one of my brugs leaves very pale. This is a younger one that i started from a small stem.

I always thought once the last full moon in may was over no more frost. jazz
jazz

Postby green thumb guy » May 19, 2008 5:21 pm

There can be several reasons.

Perhaps it is not getting enough light. Maybe it is missing a micronutrient like magnesium or iron that aid in chlorophyll production. I have found that if I kept a cutting too wet it would be stressed and have pale leaves.

Maybe, it just needs a little tlc.

Is this cutting inside or outside right now?

:D
green thumb guy

Postby jazz » May 19, 2008 6:33 pm

Its outside with my four others. Tonite 6 and tomorrow 14 half sun half cloud and that terrible wind. Jazz
jazz

bringing Brug's outside

Postby Sabina » May 21, 2008 9:45 am

Hi there, new to the forum, but I'm glad I found one for Canadian Gardeners ! I started to harden off all my plants that I raised throughout the winter on April 30/08 for only 5 days. I'm near Toronto in Zone 5b. The plants have been outside without bringing them since since May 4, these include my Brugs that are new Nursery plants this year, as well as my Impatiens, Shockwave petunias, Snowtopia/Blutopia Bacopa, Torenia, Tomatoes etc. I think the reason for the sucess is that the entire winter they have a fan blowing on them all day, and 2 weeks before I harden off I with hold water and fertilizer. Incidentally the Brugs have not lost any leaves, in fact they look as heathy as the day I bought them.
Sabina

Previous

Return to Plant Talk