Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

chocolate vine question

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

chocolate vine question

Postby murphy » May 07, 2008 8:15 am

I got this vine about three years ago. It is growing fine but has NEVER bloomed...hasn't squeaked out even one tiny bloom. Does anybody know anything about this vine...what does it like and when it is supposed to bloom....is there special pruning...or even classical music I need to play for it :shock:

:roll: I am at a loss as to what to do with it...foliage is not striking enough to warrent leaving it there being stubborn and unproductive....where is my smell of chocolate ? :?
murphy

Postby countrychic » May 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Just looking up in my catalogue, it blooms in May (purple). Zone 5-9. Sun or Shade. Prune in spring.
countrychic

Postby murphy » May 07, 2008 12:30 pm

well it is now may...and nothing...nada...not a bud of a bloom...hmmm....does it mention if it blooms on old or new wood...should I just prune lightly or to the ground???? :? :cry:
murphy

Postby murphy » May 07, 2008 12:55 pm

just googled it to get info...didn't really find anything I could use...but did find it listed as "the weed of the week"....on a goverment site on invasive species.....I went and paid about $20 at a garden center for the "WEED OF THE WEEK"...too funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :?
murphy

Postby countrychic » May 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Found this on vines. Not much on your vine, but I would not prune it to the ground!
http://www.thenatural-gardener.com/April2006.pdf
countrychic

Postby murphy » May 08, 2008 5:16 pm

I am a little excited...went out today to do some weeding and saw there were some little flower buds on this vine....I finally get to see if they really do smell like chocolate. :P
murphy

Return to Plant Talk