Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

New presents to me!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

New presents to me!

Postby Meggylou » May 07, 2008 7:34 pm

I used the rest of a gift card for the mall at Walmart tonight.
I caved and bought some annuals. 10 geraniums (pink) and one dracaena. I just couldn't resist.
They did have some BEAUTIFUL clematis but since my house right now isn't permanent I'm going to wait until I own my own place.
I also bought a bag of 50 Gladiolus bulbs. I LOVE these flowers, my grandfathers grew them and would give them to me as cut flowers as a little girl.
I'm so happy to be able to grow my own now.
Any hints on getting them going?
Meggylou

Postby dlb » May 07, 2008 8:59 pm

Well you can pop them into a pot or two or three and keep them in a nice warm spot until it is warm enough to plant. I keep mine in a cold frame unless it is really cold. Other people find a sunny spot in the house. Then you can transplant them when the ground is nice and warm. I keep mine in the planter.

Dora
dlb

Postby patty » May 07, 2008 10:14 pm

I can feel your excitement reading your words meggylou. dlb gave you some good advice. I have always thought of glads as funeral flowers (I know dumb) but they sure have some very pretty flowered ones now adays. I hope you will post some pics when yours are in bloom. Good luck with your new plants.:)
patty

Postby Eeyore » May 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Glads are beautiful but I've never grown them. The thought of lifting them in the fall and storing the bulbs has stopped me.

Meggylou, I'm delighted for you! There isn't a better feeling in the world than knowing you'll be growing something!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 07, 2008 11:25 pm

Very nice. Happy planting!
Scrapinthehat

Postby Meggylou » May 08, 2008 10:21 am

thanks for the replies.
I was looking at leevalley.com and they have these bulb baskets, but I think I might be able to rig something similar up from the dollar store..or any other ideas?
I don't want to fish around in the soil for bulbs all fall so I figure this way they'll be contained and I just need to lift the containers.
Meggylou

Postby deezee » May 08, 2008 11:50 am

Patty : I have always thought of glads as funeral flowers

I grow calla lilies and hubby says the same of them
deezee

Postby Sheikea » May 08, 2008 6:47 pm

I grow Glads and have never lifted the bulbs in the winter.Perhaps I bury mine deep enough. :D
Sheikea

Postby Hushypuppy » May 08, 2008 11:03 pm

ahh..your supposed to take them out in the fall...that is news to me. Mine pretty much stay there. They seem to come back just fine...hmmm
They are against the house though so maybe that is why...?

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Meggylou » May 09, 2008 12:12 am

We get cold winters so I just want to make sure they survive. I don't mind storing bulbs inside over winter, I just don't want to go on a wild goose chase hunting for bulbs come fall.
Though technically I was reading the package and they're called corms not bulbs, because they don't have layers inside.
Meggylou

Return to Plant Talk