Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

All my plants are looking diseased. Help appreciated.

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

All my plants are looking diseased. Help appreciated.

Postby Cyclone » May 08, 2008 4:01 am

I am a total armature when it comes to gardening and this is the first year that I decide to start so many plants in doors. I have in the past but this year I decide to grow a lot more.

Months ago I noticed small red bugs on the Thunbergia Vines I started. Now more and more of the different variety of plants I have started seem to be having other different problems like white, black spots on the leaves, curling, parts of the leaves drying up, and some of the other plants also have these red bugs. I think I have a few separate issues going on with my plants.

I have uploaded a bunch of photos and divided them into 3 pages with a few notes. Sorry if I took too many photos. I tried to be thorough. :)

http://www.inspiredvisuals.com/Cgtalk/P ... lants.html
http://www.inspiredvisuals.com/Cgtalk/P ... ants2.html
http://www.inspiredvisuals.com/Cgtalk/P ... ants3.html

I think there are a few reasons for my problems. Overcrowded plants, too humid in the room, over watering, fertilizer burns but I have no idea if any of those are the cause. I only fertilized the plants twice (once with general purpose fertilizer and once with rooting fertilizer) and tried to be really careful with watering them always feeling the soil. The weather is crappy and I cannot put the overcrowded plants outside. I think I started them too early. Some plants are even blocking the lights with their leaves… On the bright side I haven’t had a plant death yet. :)

Got any ideas on the cause of my problems? I have a bad feeling that everything is just getting worse and worse and I will end up with no plants.

Thank You
Have a good day.
Last edited by Cyclone on May 14, 2008 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cyclone

Postby Cyclone » May 08, 2008 4:04 am

Sorry I'm new here. I could not post links? How can I show you guys my problem if you can't see the images. I had way too many images too post in my question so i put them on seperate pages(links). The longer I wait to get my question answered the more my plants will die :(

thanks for your understanding.
Cyclone

Postby Olivia zone 6 » May 08, 2008 6:25 am

Hi Cyclone, sometimes you cannot post pictures until you have posted a few messages in the forums. Try asking the questions without the pics and see what happens. After about I think it's 7 posts, you will be able to post photos! Starting seeds indoors too early is sometimes the biggest problem. I have NOT started nearly as many seeds as I used to for some of the reasons that you expressed in your post. Hoping you can post pictures soon! O
Olivia
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but, how to dance in the rain."
Olivia zone 6

Postby murphy » May 08, 2008 9:13 am

the little bugs sound like spider mites...not good. Lack of air flow and high humidity also are a real problem for seedlings...it causes things such as "damping off" and other fungal disease...spread the seedlings out...get what is left of them that are healthy and repot them in clean sterile pots in new soil...throw the rest out. I would think if you try to save them you will not be able to get the multiple problems under control. If it was just one thing...then perhaps it would be work the struggle..but frankly it sounds like you have to toss a lot of plants. Please try to repost some pictures...do one at a time if you have to. I posted dozens of pictures on a post when I first joined. If you reduce the number of pixels with a programme like picassa first...you will have better luck posting multiple pictures. Pictures might help as others might be able to give you specific advice that may save some of your seedlings.
murphy

Postby dlb » May 08, 2008 11:01 am

It sounds like spider mites all right. See:
http://vegipm.tamu.edu/imageindex.html

Despite the weather being crappy, I would put them out if the weather is above zero and give them a good hosing down with water on both sides of the leaves. Then take them inside again. Do it again in a couple of days. If it is raining you might leave them outside for a couple of hours. You can also treat with insecticidal soap - of insecticides but I don't like doing that in the house.
Dora[/url]
dlb

Postby Meggylou » May 08, 2008 11:10 am

I also found that if I cover the soil with plastic wrap tightly I can dip them in a bucket of soapy water (dish soap) this takes the mites off, I do this a couple of times and the mites are gone. I also pour a little bit of water on the soil but NOT much.
Meggylou

Postby Cyclone » May 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I edited my above post with some links to some pictures. I didn't want to overwhelm you guys with a thread of images, which is why they are in links. Just add the www + . and the com and they will work. :)

I think I have at least 5 different diseases/bugs to deal with. It has spread almost everywhere. I would have to throw away everything if I don't try to cure them. I i'm growing herbs too. If I spray them with soap then I probably won’t be able to eat the leaves. Right?

Would it help also if I take some photos of my indoor 'set-up'? I'm sure I made a bunch of common gardener mistakes. :oops:

Btw I wanted it humid and hot for the peppers I was growing. All my plants were doing awesome and had very high germination rate(90%). Especially the zucchini, watermelon and cucumbers but now all this stuff is holding them back. The basil was doing good to last week and we had some for dinner but its looking sick now too. Not sure if I want to eat it now. ;)

Thanks again for your help.
Cyclone

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » May 08, 2008 9:37 pm

I use a fan all day long helps with the ventilation, as I only have one door and no opening windows. Some time I leave the door whide all the time the fan is going from early in the morning until about 9:00PM.
Don't water them from the top and very sparingly, the less wetness of soil the better for everything.
I use a very weak solution of fertilizer and not in the begginning only after there is lots of growth.
Hope this helps as I know the feeling when plants start dying on you, especially after all the work that's gone into it!
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby Venice » May 08, 2008 9:45 pm

you can use room temp Chamomile tea to git rid of the 'damp' virus on the plants if they have that.

Ven
Venice

Postby Cyclone » May 09, 2008 2:58 am

Thanks for the advice. Is insecticidal soap safe on 'food' plants? I would rather not have to use pesticide.

I noticed today my peppers have all these bumps on the underside of the leaves and are starting to curl. I don't see insects or eggs. I tried wiping the bumps off with my finger but they didn't come off.

Has anyone checked out the links in my first post? I think I have a number of different issues with my plants and I would like to know what they are so I know what to do with the plants. Thank you.

I attached some pics of the peppers.

Thanks again. :)
Attachments
43.jpg
42.jpg
41.jpg
Cyclone

Next

Return to Plant Talk