Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

All my plants are looking diseased. Help appreciated.

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Cyclone » May 09, 2008 2:59 am

limit is 3 per post
Attachments
46.jpg
45.jpg
44.jpg
Cyclone

Postby Cyclone » May 10, 2008 3:19 am

Anyone? Someone suggested the peppers have the mosaic virus.

have 5 varieties of peppers and the symptoms seem pretty random. Some leaves look fine, some are entirely yellow and look normal other wise, some are bumpy and curly and some have yellow splotches etc.

Thanks
Attachments
55.jpg
55.jpg (22.24 KiB) Viewed 937 times
54.jpg
50.jpg
Cyclone

Postby dlb » May 10, 2008 10:49 am

From what I recall, little bumps like that are associated with spider mites. The yellow patches on some leaves are also likely caused by them sucking out the plant juices. Usually found giving the plant a good bath was sufficient.

I've read dipping the plant in skim milk is helpful for mosaic virus if you're still concerned about that.

Dora
dlb

Postby evepet » May 10, 2008 11:50 am

I noticed you got an answer at 'Dave's' site - the site that you get when you copy the links you provided. He says something about thrips. I hope his advice helps. I'm a novice myself, so have no idea... but it would be awful to lose all those plants after all your efforts. Hope everything works out ok.
evepet

Postby Cyclone » May 14, 2008 3:14 am

evepet wrote:I noticed you got an answer at 'Dave's' site - the site that you get when you copy the links you provided. He says something about thrips. I hope his advice helps. I'm a novice myself, so have no idea... but it would be awful to lose all those plants after all your efforts. Hope everything works out ok.

thanks. yea his replies were very helpful. I at least know what bugs I have now!

All my plants in general seem to be doing better (except for the peppers) or at least not getting worse. I think at least the bug issue is somewhat under control. I noticed within a day or 2 of removing the insolating plastic from the shelves that was keeping the plants warm that the plants seemed to stop getting worse to such a huge degree. I think that the environmental conditions were just right for the bugs to flourish. The plants had red spider mites, thrips, white flies, and other bugs, maybe aphids and white spider mites? Most of the watermelon has died though. The leaves were so dried up from bug damage and some stems broke when separating the plants and spraying and rubbing the leaves to squish the bugs.

Here is an update on the peppers. :’(

I fertilized the peppers last night. I was very careful to not get any on the plants. Today when I checked the peppers they looked a lot worse. The leaves looked even more bumpy, curly, and sick looking. Even the ones that I thought were the healthiest. They also have a lot of buds on them but they aren't opening up and are drooping. Either the fertilizer is poisoning the plants or they have a virus and I accidentally spread it to the other plants with physical contact from the watering can spout? It was practically impossible to not have it touch the plants when I was watering. I have fertilized 3 times I don’t see a single bug on the plants unless they are microscopic so I don’t think its bug damage. I think either a virus (Tomato mosaic virus (ToMV)?) or nutrient problems?

Any ideas. I would at least like to figure out what is wrong with them, even if they die so I know for next time.

Thanks for the advice.
Cyclone

Previous

Return to Plant Talk