Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Loofah info. att.Durgan.

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Loofah info. att.Durgan.

Postby sweetnuts » May 08, 2008 12:32 pm

If you read this Durgan, I posted May 6th re growing loofahs for sponges. Can you give me any tips on growing once I pick them up from the Greenhouse. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
sweetnuts

Re: Loofah info. att.Durgan.

Postby Durgan » May 08, 2008 4:28 pm

sweetnuts wrote:If you read this Durgan, I posted May 6th re growing loofahs for sponges. Can you give me any tips on growing once I pick them up from the Greenhouse. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Full sun, and moist soil. but no soaking. Above all don't even think of putting them out if there is any danger of frost. At first they grow slowly, then suddenly take off. Don't cultivate around the plants, since the roots grow out a fair distance. I have read that removing the first few fruits will encourage more later, but haven't practiced this, since I was happy to see one fruit at first. Now I am a little more confident, so will do so this year, also some of the branching vines will be clipped, depending upon the vigour.

This year (2008) I expect good results, since the bed is mulched, and this should mean uniform soil moisture.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Return to Plant Talk