Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Whoohoo! Made my day!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Whoohoo! Made my day!

Postby evepet » May 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Some of you may recall I've been trying to get sweet potatoes to root so that I can start a sweet potatoe vine for my balcony. I'd been suspending the small end of the potatoe in water, etc for a few weeks, and they've been developing roots but no sprouting was happening yet. Someone here (thanks!!) suggested I plant them in a shallow layer of dirt... I just noticed that one of them now has 3 separate sprouts coming up through the dirt. Success! I'm a happy camper. :D

JoanW - I checked & now realize it was you who told me what to do. THX.
evepet

Re: Whoohoo! Made my day!

Postby Durgan » May 08, 2008 4:33 pm

evepet wrote:Some of you may recall I've been trying to get sweet potatoes to root so that I can start a sweet potatoe vine for my balcony. I'd been suspending the small end of the potatoe in water, etc for a few weeks, and they've been developing roots but no sprouting was happening yet. Someone here (thanks!!) suggested I plant them in a shallow layer of dirt... I just noticed that one of them now has 3 separate sprouts coming up through the dirt. Success! I'm a happy camper. :D

JoanW - I checked & now realize it was you who told me what to do. THX.

Nice to hear. I am doing similar, but no shoots yet. Mine are sharp end down in good soil with the top just covered.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Thx Durgan...

Postby evepet » May 08, 2008 5:44 pm

I've been trying this for about a month now with 4 different sweet potatoes. Finally I've had this success with one of them. Maybe something will still happen with some of the others. Plus, I've more recently put 2 more in water so that they'll grow more roots... then I'll shallow plant them in soil to see if sprouts develop. I'd really like to have 1 for each of my balcony containers. Good luck with yours. They are gorgeous vines once you getting them growing.

I was just looking closely at them again - and I see a tiny little shoot coming up on another one! Fantastic! :D

(Added on Friday, May 9th) Just checked the newer sweet potatoes I have had suspended in a glass of water for about 2 wks now..... and I can see a teeny tiny little sprout coming through the top of each of them! LOL. I think I'm going to be 'farming out' some of my sweet potatoe vine 'crop'. But it's rewarding to see those shoots appearing.
evepet

Return to Plant Talk