Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Is it too late to start Lobelia ??

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Is it too late to start Lobelia ??

Postby evepet » May 08, 2008 10:13 pm

I think it was in one of BBQs posts that she mentionned having some trailing lobelia seedlings growing inside.... that got me thinking, and now I realize I'd love to have some in my planters. I got some seeds for White Fountains Trailing Lobelia, and also Regatta Mixed Trailing Lobelia. Can lobelia be successfully seeded directly into an outside container or is it better grown from seed inside and transplanted? I would imagine I don't have enough time left to try to start them from seed inside and transplant??
evepet

Postby Catherine » May 09, 2008 10:59 am

I started some from seed outside - quite late May - one year. Took a while but they did bloom prettily eventually. Can't remember when but it happened...
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby Eeyore » May 09, 2008 11:12 am

I started mine a week ago..... I really hate things to be overgrown right from the start of the season as they fade fast in about mid July so I don't mind them blooming late.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

They are so pretty....

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks Catherine & Eeyore. The lobelia is so pretty in a container! I now realize that's what I've had in several different nursery-bought hanging baskets over the years, but my interest in gardening is new enough that I didn't recognize the plant until I got doing some research this week. I loved that plant because it attracted hummingbirds. Hope it does that again for me.
evepet

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 11:21 am

Eeyore wrote:I started mine a week ago..... I really hate things to be overgrown right from the start of the season as they fade fast in about mid July so I don't mind them blooming late.

Eeyore, did you plant the seeds right into the ground outside? Or are you planting inside and transplanting??? If planting inside and transplanting do you have any 'tips' for me?? :)
evepet

Postby Eeyore » May 09, 2008 12:12 pm

I started them indoors. The seed is REALLY tiny and I just sprinked it over top of soil and planted it in one big container. Dividing it is gonna be fun! :lol: I believe someone mentioned pelleted Lobelia seed and I will be looking for that next year. It would be easier to handle. It was a mail order I believe.

I love lobelia and have had it reseed in my gardens. It doesn't like to dry out completely so keep your soil moist.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » May 09, 2008 7:37 pm

Hi evepet:
I suspect it's a bit late to start Lobelia - but nothing ventured nothing gained!
Lobelia takes forever to grow and mature. I started mine in February, (recommended by a nursery owner), and it is still not ready! Almost, but not quite!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 9:00 pm

BBQ wrote:Hi evepet:
I suspect it's a bit late to start Lobelia - but nothing ventured nothing gained!
Lobelia takes forever to grow and mature. I started mine in February, (recommended by a nursery owner), and it is still not ready! Almost, but not quite!
~BBQ

Wow - February?!! I've been reading about Lobelia and it doesn't sound like the easiest plant to grow from seed.... I'm thinking I may keep my seeds for next spring, and see if I can find a seedling or two at a nursery. I'll take the fast way this time around. LOL. Heaven knows I've got more than enough to fill my balcony containers! Hopefully the seeds will still be ok for next spring....?
evepet

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2008 12:54 am

February! URK! Looks like I'll be buying mine this year!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk