Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Weed Identification

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Weed Identification

Postby Pip » May 09, 2008 7:49 am

What is this weed? Are these young dandelion plants? They are all over the lawns in the neighbourhoods. There is a lot of building going on, so that could be the reason there are so many of them.
Pip

Postby OGrubber » May 09, 2008 8:58 am

Looks like either prickly lettuce or sowthistle. Both are as much of a pain in the flower gardens as dandilion, IMHO.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Pip » May 09, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's either of those according to these pictures I found. But I think you're right in that they'll be a pain in the neck no matter what they are. I'm just surprised at the quantity of them around everywhere!

Sow Thistle:

Prickly Lettuce:

Pip

Postby Ian » May 10, 2008 7:04 am

I agree with OGrubber, I think it is new leaves of a sow or more likely the prickly lettuce thistle. They both have a nasty root and are hard to eliminate.

Ian
Ian

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 10, 2008 10:55 am

The "nasty" root can be dealt with the same as a dandelion. Namely, Lee Valley has a small probe that fits to your hose(like a minature root feeder). This is inserted down along side of the main stem & the water pressure flushes the soil from around the tap root allowing for it's easy removal by simply lifting the plant up out of the ground without breaking the tap root off. I have been using this device on deep rooted pesky weeds for 5 - 6 years now with good success.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2008 11:53 pm

Is it Hawksbeard?

http://weeds.massey.ac.nz/weeds.asp?pid=76

Yes, it's a PITA to get rid of!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Pip » May 12, 2008 9:03 am

Hmmm, seems different from the prickly lettuce. Possibly the sow thistle or hawksbeard. The problem is it's everywhere! And I hate using chemicals. :( Maybe I'll get rid of the lawn and put in a wildflower garden for the whole yard. :lol:

Thanks for the replies!
Pip

Postby Eeyore » May 12, 2008 10:36 am

Try using the boiling water method, or spraying with vinegar.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Weed

Postby DMG » May 12, 2008 10:57 am

Yep, I have seen this weed before too, but have not have problems with it being invasive. Luckily. I have to admit I am not very familiar with weeds and am constantly referring to the field guide to Ontario weeds online. Just to be sure I am not pulling out something I might like later! DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby Pip » May 12, 2008 5:09 pm

Lyn, it's not only in a few spots, it is the lawn right now. :( I think I'll just have to weed them out by hand, a little at a time.
Pip

Next

Return to Plant Talk