Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Virginia Creeper in a Container - Will it overwinter???

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Virginia Creeper in a Container - Will it overwinter???

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 4:21 pm

Just wondering..... If I put Virginia Creeper in a container on my balcony, is it sturdy enough that it would survive our winters and reemerge in spring??? It sure would be nice to have something that 'reappears' from year to year, so that I don't have to completely start from scratch each spring.

Apologies.... just realized that this has recently been the subject of another thread. But I'd still appreciate anybody's opinion as to whether it would overwinter... and how big a container one would need to accomplish this. I would think it would have to be a pretty large size container in order to allow for the root system?
evepet

Postby murphy » May 09, 2008 7:01 pm

I am just wondering...WHY??? It is a complete weed at my house...I have to go out three or four times a year and hack the darn thing back...every summer it eats the entire back of my house...my eldest son loves it cause it thickly covers his window and he can sleep until noon with no daylight. If it doesn't survive...contact me and I will ship you about 1,000 roots of it. :lol:
murphy

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 7:18 pm

Murphy wrote:I am just wondering...WHY??? It is a complete weed at my house...I have to go out three or four times a year and hack the darn thing back...every summer it eats the entire back of my house...my eldest son loves it cause it thickly covers his window and he can sleep until noon with no daylight. If it doesn't survive...contact me and I will ship you about 1,000 roots of it. :lol:

I guess I'm interested Murphy, because I love greenery, etc., and I'm faced with trying to figure out how to get this on my balcony on an annual basis. Also it's a vine and would provide a privacy screen. Right now I'm busy growing a lot of vines, flowers, veggies, etc., which will provide some privacy, foliage and colour (and a few veggies) on my balcony soon. But it would be nice next year to have a little head start and know that something I planted and nurtured along this summer would re-appear with little effort on my part next spring. I realize a lot of gardeners consider it to be no more than a 'weed'... but it's all relative.
evepet

Postby murphy » May 09, 2008 7:38 pm

use as big a container as you can ...it is hardy to zone 2 so I think it would stand a pretty good chance of surviving....do keep in mind it can grow more than 60 feet in a season....just keep pruning and it will keep growing. The nice part is it does get pretty blue berries in the late summer than turns a scarlet red in the fall and up to frost.
murphy

60' in a season????

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 7:42 pm

Man alive! That thing does grow doesn't it! But I could just keep wacking it back??? to the size that I want? Assuming of course that I get one to stay alive over the winter?
evepet

Postby murphy » May 09, 2008 7:47 pm

wack it back as much as you like...you may not get the berries..but hey..you will get privacy...also nice for containers that I have found hardy as far as Barrie are hosta, astilbe and hens and chicks...do a search for some grasses that are hardy to zone 2 and see if you can find some tall ones..they are realy nice as they add all season interest on a balcony garden...there are also some every green shrubs that will also tolerate this kind of planting...it is nice to look at something even in the winter. Roof top and balcony gardening has become very popular and many nurseries are stocking very hardy plants for this purpose.
murphy

Postby evepet » May 09, 2008 7:58 pm

Murphy wrote:wack it back as much as you like...you may not get the berries..but hey..you will get privacy...also nice for containers that I have found hardy as far as Barrie are hosta, astilbe and hens and chicks...do a search for some grasses that are hardy to zone 2 and see if you can find some tall ones..they are realy nice as they add all season interest on a balcony garden...there are also some every green shrubs that will also tolerate this kind of planting...it is nice to look at something even in the winter. Roof top and balcony gardening has become very popular and many nurseries are stocking very hardy plants for this purpose.

Thx for your input Murphy. Some good ideas.
evepet

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 10, 2008 11:01 am

We have 4 pots about 2 gallons in size with virginia creeper in them for the past 5 years & they have survived every winter. I don't think you can kill this "weed". Knowing what I now know about Virginia Creeper, if I had it to do over again, the only place I would plant this thing is in a pot where it can be controlled.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby evepet » May 10, 2008 11:41 am

LeeInEdmonton wrote:We have 4 pots about 2 gallons in size with virginia creeper in them for the past 5 years & they have survived every winter. I don't think you can kill this "weed". Knowing what I now know about Virginia Creeper, if I had it to do over again, the only place I would plant this thing is in a pot where it can be controlled.

Lee

That sounds like it might suit my purpose just fine. Since everything I grow has to be in containers, I'll just have to keep it cut back from time to time. thx for your input Lee.
evepet

Return to Plant Talk