Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Should I pinch the Dats?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Should I pinch the Dats?

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2008 1:00 am

BBQ mewtioned in one of her postings that Brugs need a "Y" in order to bloom. Are Dat's the same? Should I be pinching the top growth to encourage branching?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby butterfly » May 10, 2008 7:49 am

I never did lyn but I am sure it would not hurt
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 10, 2008 8:56 am

Mine developed 'Ys' on its own. From a single-stemmed stick the size of a pencil last Spring my plant has two 'Ys' and it bloomed last Fall, very late last Fall.

I really can't answer the pinching question, just offering some reassurance that they will branch on their own. Did find out from my neighbor that my bruggy is a dat.
Attachments
Brugmansia-bloom-2Dec07.jpg
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Eeyore » May 10, 2008 11:45 pm

That is a beautiful colour Trish! :shock: :shock: I think I'm in love! My wedding flowers were salmon coloured roses, and I just love that colour!
Thanks for the info, I will leave them alone!

FYI if it hangs down its a brug, if it points up it's a dat! Sometimes I get confused and I forget though.... :lol: This is ny first year growing them (thaks Patty!) and I hope they do well.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 11, 2008 10:20 am

Eeyore wrote:That is a beautiful colour Trish! :shock: :shock: I think I'm in love! My wedding flowers were salmon coloured roses, and I just love that colour!
Thanks for the info, I will leave them alone!

FYI if it hangs down its a brug, if it points up it's a dat! Sometimes I get confused and I forget though.... :lol: This is ny first year growing them (thaks Patty!) and I hope they do well.

You're welcome! I told my neighbors from India that my bruggy had bloomed and took a couple of blooms over to their house. They kept calling it 'datura.' I thought they were wrong but, sure enough, that's what it is. The kicker is I ordered a white brug that faded to pink at the margin and got an orange-salmon datura. Won't be buying from 'Easy to Grow Bulbs' in California again.

Too bad you live across the border. I'd send you a cutting. The color is gorgeous and the pic doesn't do it justice. It would have been smashing at a wedding.

A Closet Canuck

Postby Paul zone5 » May 11, 2008 11:15 am

I think that daturas and brugmansia are 2 different plants. The blooms look similar though. Brugmansia blooms hang down while the datura are generaly upright.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Can someone tell me if a relatively new Dat. grows like a vine, please? Mine is.

My Brugs are upstanding (the stems.) This Dat. is a vine.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby patty » May 11, 2008 9:35 pm

Lyn I've never pinched my dats, and no they don't need to Y like a brugs to flower.

Liz, I haven't heard of this new dat vine. I know many have confused the moonflower vine as a datura, because of dats being nicknamed moonflowers. Could that be possible with yours?
patty

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Patty, bought from reliable local...supposed to be Dat. However, it grew upright for 8" and then grew sideways one way, nice and leafy, and eventually died (lousy conditions, I know) and then other side has taken off. Looks kinda like a Brug leaf, but smaller...looses leaves the same way a Brug does...

Lord, our weather...supposed to go along for a few days down here at 13 C, then begin climbing abruptly, to 29 C!!! and then back down again to 13. I use the WEather network on line, Garden and Pets, and I could scream (for all the good it would do me.)

Wonder if I can teach the Brugs and Tomatoes (and houseplants) to climb upstairs into the kitchen by themselves? I have never seen such a spring as this. I want to LET my PEOPLE GO, demmit.

I can't "do" my backporch till I know how much room overgrown houseplants are going to need...whine, grumble, moan.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 12, 2008 9:36 am

Liz Cordysmum wrote:...

Lord, our weather...supposed to go along for a few days down here at 13 C, then begin climbing abruptly, to 29 C!!! and then back down again to 13. I use the WEather network on line, Garden and Pets, and I could scream (for all the good it would do me.)

Wonder if I can teach the Brugs and Tomatoes (and houseplants) to climb upstairs into the kitchen by themselves? I have never seen such a spring as this. I want to LET my PEOPLE GO, demmit.

I can't "do" my backporch till I know how much room overgrown houseplants are going to need...whine, grumble, moan.

You are not alone, Liz! The weather here has caused havoc with planting schedules, house plants, and pretty much everything else. If it rains anymore we will all float away, I'm afraid. Double Grrrr!

A Closet Canuck

Next

Return to Plant Talk