Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Hardening off Question

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby B_BQ » May 12, 2008 7:02 pm

MareE: Thanks for always giving credit to those people who have shared seeds with you. Yes, you're quite right, I did send you my very own Bonnie Best and Green Zebra. And yes, I did also send you some Black Zebra. These were seeds collected from a plant I grew from seeds sent to me by Inge! So, the Black Zebra's history should be shared with Inge! :)

Trish: It was MareE, some years ago, who went on and on about Bonnie Best. I came across some already started plants a couple of years ago at my local organic tomato grower, and decided to try some. Subsequently MareE somehow had no more seeds, and I was able to send her some from the tomatoes I grew from organic seed. They are a very nice tomato, not too large, quite heavy for their size, and a very nice sweet taste. A good slicer too! An all-round nice tommytoe!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 12, 2008 9:33 pm

[quote="BBQ...Trish: It was MareE, some years ago, who went on and on about Bonnie Best. I came across some already started plants a couple of years ago at my local organic tomato grower, and decided to try some. Subsequently MareE somehow had no more seeds, and I was able to send her some from the tomatoes I grew from organic seed. They are a very nice tomato, not too large, quite heavy for their size, and a very nice sweet taste. A good slicer too! An all-round nice tommytoe!

~BBQ[/quote]

Bless you for sharing that description. I'm going to pick up a couple of Bonnie Best plants tomorrow!!
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby tpausch2 » May 15, 2008 12:02 am

"[quote="BBQ...Trish: It was MareE, some years ago, who went on and on about Bonnie Best. I came across some already started plants a couple of years ago at my local organic tomato grower, and decided to try some. Subsequently MareE somehow had no more seeds, and I was able to send her some from the tomatoes I grew from organic seed. They are a very nice tomato, not too large, quite heavy for their size, and a very nice sweet taste. A good slicer too! An all-round nice tommytoe!"

I'm definitely looking forward to my Bonnie Best tomatoes now. I decided to buy them because of the comments I read on the forum last year. Obviously, it's much too early to comment, but so far the seedlings are doing well. I'll let you know how it goes.
As it's my first year, I know there will be some failures, but I'm hoping I've been able to reap enough wisdom from the seasoned gardeners to have some success.
tpausch2

Postby MareE » May 15, 2008 8:33 am

I'm definitely looking forward to my Bonnie Best tomatoes now. I decided to buy them because of the comments I read on the forum last year. Obviously, it's much too early to comment, but so far the seedlings are doing well. I'll let you know how it goes.
As it's my first year, I know there will be some failures, but I'm hoping I've been able to reap enough wisdom from the seasoned gardeners to have some success.[/quote]

[color=#003939][b][size=12]Check for spelling. If the nursery/garden centre's sticks say "Bonny Best", you're not getting the real McCoy. Fell for that one year to my dismay, T. Dismal non-heirloom droopy-drawer things.

LAFF BBQ. Yeah, I obsess giving credit to whom aspired a variety of anything edible. Trishness, you sent me Quatre Saisons San Marzano seed and I failed in growing them beyond plantlet stage. I've yet to get over my abject shame and humiliation. teehee Inge, my alley garden is uncertifiably organic and that's where I grow one of each of my specials. SSara is most splendid for beefsteak taste.

Mare;o}
MareE

Previous

Return to Plant Talk