Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Red twig willow?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Red twig willow?

Postby countrychic » May 10, 2008 9:00 am

I have just come back from a perennial sale, and came home with a 'Ornamental Willow'. I have the Artic Willow shrub in my garden, love it, and saw a red twigged shrub at the nursery last week. I grabbed this one because it has the same red twigs, and thought it was the same, but I see the icecream stick tag has a different name 'Ornamental' instead of Red Twigged or Flame Red.
Is this the same thing?
countrychic

Postby countrychic » May 11, 2008 9:48 am

Does no one know about this plant?
countrychic

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 11, 2008 10:08 am

I was just reading Ann Lovejoy's description of wonderful willows for the garden. The information you shared does not include a botanical name, which is really the only way for one gardener to know exactly which plant another is describing.

The best course of action, if your tag does not give a botanical name, is to google willows and look at the pics. At least you can narrow it down. Personally, I would leave the willow in the container for awhile so I could really see what its form is before planting it. You might also take a piece from the plant you bought and compare it to what is for sale at local nurseries. In the end, you will be making a best guess, but that is often far better than not trying.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk