Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Crab Grass

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Crab Grass

Postby Lindamct » May 10, 2008 9:33 am

Morning Gang :) We have worked hard over a few years making our turf soft and thick. I am wondering if their is a product I can purchase that stops the growth of Crab Grass. I have a few areas that I can't seem to control by hand pulling. I would love to get rid of it once and for all :x :) Any suggestions?
Lindamct

Postby Hushypuppy » May 10, 2008 12:47 pm

After 3 years battling the Crab grass in our front yard I am conceding defeat this year and replacing the lawn. I hate the stuff with a passion. Wish you all the luck in the world.

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Durgan » May 10, 2008 6:26 pm

Unfortunately, crab grass dies off each year and propagates from seed. The seeds are tough, and this is where the next years grass come from.

I tend to live with it, but with effort one can eliminate it.

Grass in any form is not my favourite weed.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Pansy » May 10, 2008 11:08 pm

I don't like to use herbisides but,one thing I do use on the

lawn is a preimergent (sp) to prevent crab grass.

But it must be put on before May 1st or before the Forsythia

blooms.We cut out all other weeds & use no pestisides but,I

hate crabgrass.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Pepper » May 11, 2008 7:04 am

Excuse my ignorance, but is crab grass that prickly stuff that grows on the lawn and that attacks you when you least expect it when you're tip toeing around in your bare feet? If so, it is kind of crabby, now isn't it?
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Lindamct » May 11, 2008 8:53 am

Well I guess I shall wait till next Spring Pansy, and use the Preimergent. Is their are treatment that can be used in the Fall as well? :)
Lindamct

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 11, 2008 2:20 pm

Years ago, I gave up on crab grass because unless the area is hand dug to a depth of not less than one foot, and the soil screened to remove EVERY LITTLE BITTY PIECE OF ROOT your gonna get crab grass. Instead, disguise its' presence by fertilizing the lawn & because crab grass grows faster than lawn grasses mow the lawn frequently. If you use a mulching mower, after the second season of the lawn it will be soft to walk on & the need to fertilize will be reduced because the lawn cuttings from the mower will breakdown & feed the lawn.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Pansy » May 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Lee...crab grass is an annual,so you don't have to worry about

any pieces left in the soil.

Linda there is a spray you can use on crab grass once it is up

but from my experience it does not work well.
Good Luck
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 12, 2008 11:04 am

Linda

While crab grass may be an annual it needs a parent plant in order to re-seed itself. The digging & screening removes the parent plant hence nothing to go to seed. Frequent mowing also eliminates re-seeding. Using a mulch mower builds up thatch hence soft to walk on & provides nutrients from the cuttings. The frequent cutting also prevents crab grass creeping in from neighboring yards & re-establishment of parent plant from going to seed.
In western Canada we rarely see the annual die off of crab grass. Usually our lawns are still nice and green when the first snow flies hence, even with parent crab grass it rarely reaches the point where it goes to seed unless you have been careless about your mowing frequency.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » May 12, 2008 1:37 pm

I don't find crab grass a problem. It's the darn quack grass!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Plant Talk