Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Crab Grass

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Grannygardener » May 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Is quack grass the one with the root that travels for miles and throws up blades of grass as it goes.The bane of my existence that one is.DH said leave it in the lawn,looks like grass, cuts like grass, stays green. But how do you keep it out of the flower beds.I swear it climbs walls. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Eeyore » May 12, 2008 4:40 pm

That's the stuff Edie. It's been known to have roots 2 feet down..... :roll: :roll:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby GardenGeek » May 12, 2008 5:53 pm

I'm with you Eeyore - I HATE QUACK GRASS. We have been battling it for a few years now. We replaced one section of our yard with new sod just to try to get a leg up on it.

My husband has been laying soil and grass seed down like crazy in an effort to choke it out, but the problem is you have to keep on it or it will come back.

Our front yard so far is clear, but our neighbours (who haven't been taking care of their yard) are starting to get some. We are praying we can keep it off our side.

Pepper - I think you might be thinking of thistle.
Sheri

"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view." ~H. Fred Ale
GardenGeek

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Not only are quack & crab grasses an annoyance to the avid lawn nurturer I guess I have to say that if the sod farms don't worry about them....why should I ? Not unusual to find both in newly purchased sod.
In fact I saw one yard when we lived in Calgary where the homeowner got this deal on sod & up popped buffalo beans(prairie wild flower) throughout his lawn. Being a city slicker he didn't know what they were LOL.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » May 13, 2008 11:21 am

I try to keep the quack grass and crab grass out iof the gardens but I don't worry aboout it in the lawn. There is just too much of it.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Previous

Return to Plant Talk