Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Roma tomatoes flowering already?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Roma tomatoes flowering already?

Postby Shantz » May 10, 2008 1:27 pm

Actually, I have three types, two of which are flowering:

- Beefsteak (not flowering yet but going strong)

- Roma (flowering a LOT - started weeks ago)

- Tiny Tims (flowering quite a bit also - started around the same time)

Is this normal? I mean, I know I started them really early this year (last year I started WAAAAY too late and ended up with really tiny pathetic tomatoes, haha), but I would think that the early flowering it is a good thing. But, I'm still a novice (even lower than that) and so I still have to ask the 'experts', haha ;)

I should add that I'm in Montreal, an apartment, have a LOT of early morning & early afternoon direct sunlight, and obviously garden from containers.

I've attached photos. First is Italian/ Roma, second is Tiny Tim.

Shantz

Postby Venice » May 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Wow I'm jealous. hahaha

I don't know if it's good or not. the first year I started tomatoes, (ages ago now hehehe, right) I picked off the flowers thinking it would encouraging the fruit to grow. DOH!!!!

I was really pissed when I realized ohhh that's where the toms' come from hehhee. Anyway.... Mine aren't budding yet, but I've kept them in smaller containers, and limited the fert. 'Cause I just don't have the room to keep them bigger, unlesss....hmmm perhaps I can.

Ok so this was a rather long and pointless post ahhaha. Great pics, can't wait for mine to bloom, and I'm dying to pop one in my mouth come summer.

Ven
Venice

Postby Shantz » May 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Hahahahaha Venice ... had you NOT picked off those flowers the first time, you would have NEVER KNOWN that they are there for a reason - the whole reason to GROW a tom. plant in the first place! haha

I started them from seed in peat pots in late February and have literally BABIED them since then. The fetilizer is a tricky thing ... I usually just get a "vibe" when I should fertilize them, or I put 2 of those "flowering plant fertilizer" sticks in the pot. That's just me though, and I'll admit that I still have A LOT to learn!!! :)

Thanks for the compliment about the pics ... I think I was prouder of those than I am of the actual flower, haha (kidding)
Shantz

Postby Shantz » May 10, 2008 4:07 pm

I should also add that there were wasps poking around them today ... usually Im terrified of them but today I welcomed their presence. Don't they somehow help? I still don't actually know for sure, haha
Shantz

Postby B_BQ » May 10, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi Shantz:
You've done really well. Tommytoes need a lot of root room, so hope you're going to put them in substantial containers! :D
I brought mine up from the basement yesterday and they're sitting in my mini greenhouse, but not for long. I have raised beds which are 'warm', and they're going in really soon! (No flowers yet though!).
I already have container potatoes starting to sprout!
Yes, isn't this time of year just grand!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 12:14 am

In warmer climates tomatoes are actually a perennial so it's not too strange to see flowers at any time. Once you move them outdoors they may drop the flowers they have. If you don't plan to move them out the I don't think you need to be concerned. give the plants a little shake every day so that the pollen is distributed and the fruit develops.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Shantz » May 11, 2008 8:05 am

Thanks girls!! It's supposed to be 21'C here today so I'll toss them outside at around 11-12noon.

I think you're right about the flower dropping off Lyn, as there were several more and then they just *poof* vanished. I think it's because I went out one night and forgot to bring them in before I left ... it ended up being like 6/7'C by the time I got back, lol

Whooops!! :lol:
Shantz

Postby joan w » May 11, 2008 8:51 am

Your Romas are looking just great.

I've grown Romas and really liked the fruit.

Enjoy!
Image Image
joan w

Postby Shantz » May 11, 2008 10:21 am

^ Yes, definitely one of my favourites as well. They're the best for either a single use (whereas the larger ones tend to leave half a tomato in my case, then I end up having to toss it) or great fresh tomato sauces, bruschetta, etc. ...

Actually I made an AMAZING baked rigatoni with oven-dried roma tomatoes (the only ones that I actually got last year, haha), ricotta, parmesan, etc. It's always more rewarding to cook with your own home-grown food. :)
Shantz

Return to Plant Talk