Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Hanging Basket Suggestions

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Hanging Basket Suggestions

Postby packrat79 » May 10, 2008 1:32 pm

I want to put together some hanging baskets, to sell along with my seedlings later this month or early next month. I'm told that hanging baskets are by far the most profitable thing to sell from a greenhouse. I was wondering just what I can create using one or more of the following plants:
-Wave Petunias (purple, blue)
-Merlin Blue Petunias
-Lobelia
-Asarina
-Cardinal Climber
-Nasturtiums
I have about 75 Nasturtiums (most of which I want to sell by themselves), 30 or so Cardinal Climber, a dozen or so each of those Petunia varities, and fewer than a dozen Lobelia or Asarina. I've never put together a hanging basket before, so I don't know how many of each plant I would need. I'm assuming I'd need more than one Petunia (probably at least several) per pot, plus of course something to put on top.
As for a top plant, I have lots of candidates including many other Petunias, Marigolds, Impatiens, Alyssum, and others.
Don't know how many of you have ever been to Hampton here in NB, they usually line the main street through town with hanging baskets of Wave Purple Petunias, nothing else. They look beautiful, but I pity the person who has to climb up and pick all the dead blooms!
Thanks for any advice.
packrat79

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 12:05 am

What colour is the Lobelia?

Impatiens prefer shade so they won't do well with the Petunias.
I would pot those up alone.

As for the other plants, just stuff them in as you see fit. I don't think I'd put the blu petunias with Blue lobelia unless you were doing a blue and white pot in which case a generous helping of white alyssium would work.

Give this site a look and see if you can get some ideas

http://www.provenwinners.com/combinatio ... ing+Basket
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk